cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading software.

Proclus
Grafter

Downloading software.

Ive recenly got a plusnet 2mb connection upgrading form a 1mb.
With the 1mb connection my download spped when downloading files was about 100 kbps most of the time about right

However now ive got 2mb the speed can start off anywhere as high as 500 kbps then it drops a would expect it to run at about 200-225 however it keeps going down past 100mb and the last fil;e i down loaded it wne down to 35kb
This to me completly ridicolous one of the main reasons i upgraded was for faster download speeds and i end up going slower.

has anyone any ideas why this may be??. Speed tests generally show that my connection is as it should be for a 2mb connection.
Evil
3 REPLIES
N/A

Downloading software.

Download speeds not only depend on your connection type but also on the server from which you are downloading, if the server is slow then you will not get high download speeds
Community Veteran

Downloading software.

Do a test download of a file in plusnet's file vault (see link to it on th e left) and see what speed you get. There should be no delays doing this test.

A lot of websites will throttle (bandwidth limit) outgoing data speeds so everyone gets an equal share of the bandwidth or they just cannot sustain a 2Mbs connection. Running at 2Mbs means you will be effected more by this throttling than you would have when your had 1Mbs.
N/A

Downloading software.

To increase the download when downloading frm websites which limit the download speed use a download manager such as FlashGet which makes up to 10 simultaneous connections to the same file.

The 500kb/s initial download speed happens because during the time when you click on the download link to the time when you decide where to save the file it is already downloading the file in the background and finally when you click save all that data is 'released'.