Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading from Newsgroups & Connection

N/A

Hi there!

I've migrated away from another ISP... and now I kinda wish I hadnt Cry

I've signed up for the 2MB Premier package (£21.99). I download about 5GBa month. With my old ISP I was downloading at a speed of 60kb/s on a 512k service. With PlusNET I'm getting only 8-10kb/s!!! I was only activated yesterday... Im so disappointed Cry

Also, I performed a ADSL check a few weeks back... it said that my exchange was running at 2MB, but Im only on 1MB. The ADSL checker now reports that I can only have 1MB... weird huh?

Heres my router stats:

Conn. Speed
Down 1152 kbps
Up 288 kbps

Line Attenuation
Down 55.0 db
Up 31.5 db

Noise Margin
Down 20.4 db
Up 26.0 db

Does this really mean that I cant have 2MB?

Im now of the understanding that my newsgroup d/l performance has been hindered by 'traffic shaping'. This is something that I was not informed about when I signed up a week ago!!! In fact, I read on the (PN) service comparisons page that downloading and newsgroups was supported. So why am I being throttled?

Thanks in advance!

Mark
2 REPLIES
N/A

Hey.

I have a similar problem with attenuation, although i'm bordering on the 2Mbit threshold! If you're downstream attenuation is greater than 45dB they say it's not suitable.

As for newsgroups, it takes me a long time to download the server list and the headers from groups. But after that, I use newsleecher, to make 4 connections to the server, and the get around full speed (4 x 20kb/s). Have you tried software that allows you to make multiple connections? As for the header thing, yes it's very annoying, especially if you download 100mbs worth of them.
N/A

Thanks Kudair.

I spoke with PN this morning. I ran though the issue with support, the guy asked me to hold... came back about 3mins later and asked me to bounce my router. I asked what he had done, he said changed my IP (?!)! Confused, I asked if he'd moved me to a static address. He said no. From this I can only assume that hes stuck me on some other reserved address range (BB+ to BBprem network?). After the router was restarted, I tried my D/Ls. I was getting speeds of 118mbps.... which I would kinda expect. I halted the dowload and kicked it off again when I came home for lunch - oh dear... its been running at a measly 18 -20kbps ever since.

Not happy. I think Im going to execute my notice as Im 2days into my 7days grace.

-mark
1MB Premier