Download speed very slow

N/A

Download speed very slow

my download limit normal but download speed very slow why
14 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

Download speed very slow

Can you elaborate? Is the internet slow in general, or is it just certain applications? And how slow is slow?

What is your product type? And what do you get on a speedtester such as at http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk

What about http://speedtester.bt.com ?
Gibble
Grafter

Download speed very slow

I too have really slow down speed, done speed test and im now on 1.6mbit down even though when i actually download from IRC i get less than 1kb/s.

My upload is slower then normal too (seen from my speed test).

I'm on broadband premier option 2 i belive.

Edit:
Surfing slow too
Liam
Grafter

Download speed very slow

Can you post some results from the links I've mentioned above?

Also, do you know how to perform a 'traceroute' to a destination? Can you provide this, if possible, to a website you are getting slow download speeds from.
Gibble
Grafter

Download speed very slow

with the speed test you linked to i get
1872kb/s down
368kb/s up

i have bandwidth monitor installed and when i was loading that web page it wasn't go over 4kb/s even though the speed test shows higher results.

Not to sure about "trace route"
N/A

Download speed very slow

My product type is broadband PREMIER

DOWNLOAD SPEED 307kbps
UPLOAD SPEED 73kbps

Picture here

Sad
N/A

Download speed very slow

You're doing better than me. My usenet download speed is clocked at about 10kbs, and uploading even small graphics to my websites is a job best left running while I go off and make tea. Not bad for 2MB Broadband.
Liam
Grafter

Download speed very slow

That test certainly indicates a problem somewhere.

Have you disconnected and reconnected? Do you have anything else on your PC or network using the connection? Is your PC free from viruses and spyware?
N/A

Download speed very slow

My pc 100% clean i don't have spyware and virus something wrong with plusNET servers i think.
Gibble
Grafter

Download speed very slow

Same here, my pc is free of spyware and adware and i still have these slow speeds.

Edit:
I plugged my modem into my laptop and connected, still same slow speeds. Must be plusnet.
N/A

Download speed very slow

My connection has been pretty poor over the last few weeks too, sometimes being unable to load any web pages, once logging a heady 21.8kbps download on Plusnet's speed test. This evening i've managed 714.7kbps on a supposed line max speed of 6500kbps!
N/A

Download speed very slow

Well this is getting beyond a joke now plusnet :? . i have to keep reminding myself what exactly i'm paying for with speed test results like this:

i don't have any of the following:

viruses
spyware
unfiltered sockets
changes to hardware in the last 12 months

so what exactly is the big deal? i had a perfectly stable 2mb connection that ran at just that. when i first got on MAX i was syncing at 8152kbps and getting a connection speed of around 7500kbps off peak and around 4000kbps during peak times.

This is totally ridiculous, if i'd wanted dial up speeds i most certainly wouldn't have switched from UKOnline to Plus.Net So please tell me, as a customer, shouldn't i be recieving a service that i'm paying for?
N/A

Download speed very slow

omg chrisbentley2k5 your speed really slow
this is mine speed :?
jlgreen
Dabbler

Download speed very slow

Same here, usenet speeds around the 2kbps mark, clean PC, no hardware changes, supposed "premier" package.

Looks like we're victims of traffic shaping people - time for a new ISP if this continues.
N/A

Download speed very slow

Same at my end, PN are definately playing around with download speeds on Newsgroups. Their own speed tester reports between 1 and 1.5megs for me on an 8 meg connection but newsleecher reports between 10 and 50kbps. Frequent disconnets every 10 mins or so seem to be the norm and customer service doesn't even scrape in to totally useless.

No one at their end was even interested in solving my problems until I told them I was leaving and asked for my MAC key. I then got the usual "...please tells us why you are leaving email", so I did in a pretty "to the point" reply.

Surprise surprise they would like to solve my problems and give me a month free. I hold out no hope that they actually will.