cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download rate question.

N/A

Download rate question.

I get download rates at around 45-47k (not more) with my 512 connection. I had a ntl 600k in the beginning of the month and was getting something like 58-60k. Why there is such a difference?I have asked other cable users and they are getting approximately the same results. I was hoping for something around 52-54 from my connection. Was I wrong? thanks in advance
8 REPLIES
N/A

Download rate question.

Have you tried the PlusNet speed test?

https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=myconnection

Download's really do vary depending on a lot of things, but yeah, you should be getting higher.
N/A

Download rate question.

I get something like 440-460k connection. I have tried the drtcp tweaks and the networkoptimizer thingy but still no joy. Anything else I could do?
N/A

Download rate question.

When you say you've tried tweaking, did you follow the MTU Tweak Sticky at the top of this forum?

Have you looked up your exchange? as contention maybe an issue for you.

You must also bear in mind, the NTL service is normally cable based and you will never be able to match those download rates (even if you on 512 with NTL).

I normally get around 62-64K downloads on my 512K connection, so your right about it being slower.

Finally all these optimsing programs and sites are all good, but they both tell you to tweak the same settings but in opposite directions. The best I've found is CableNut, which can be reached from http://www.broadbandnuts.com/ is the best.

In addition they have a page will you can type in all your details and will create a file for you to download to tweak your settings.

Have you checked your machine for spyware,adware and trojans. All of these can take up bandwidth and slow your connection down.

Finally as a best test, use the Plus Net Speed Check. Simple because the Plus Net network will always be your first port of call when connecting to the net and traffic on the net can affect other speed checkers performance.

Hope this helps.
N/A

Download rate question.

my exchange looks ok (green). The problem is that I am not new to networks and I know that my speeds are not normal for a 512k connection. Not only that, but I have also tried most of the things I had in mind. I ll also try this program you said before and will post back with results.
N/A

Download rate question.

Tried some more tweaks (Set the mtu to 1478 and changed the rwin to 17256) and now I got a 478k in the plusnet speed tester. I am glad I managed to improved it a bit but i am sure there is more from my connection. The adslreports tweak test gives me:

Actual data bytes sent: 153190
Actual data packets: 107
Max packet sent (MTU): 1478
Max packet recd (MTU): 1478
Retransmitted data packets: 5
sacks you sent: 20
pushed data pkts: 16
data transmit time: 3.563 secs
our max idletime: 273.6 ms
transfer rate: 34956 bytes/sec
transfer rate: 279 kbits/sec
This is not a speed test!
transfer efficiency: 95%

I also changed the routers mtu to 1478 I have a dlink 300+ and a linksys Befw11s4 in my network). Any other suggestions would be really useful. Thanks for you help
Community Veteran

Download rate question.

Try doing a large download from the PlusNet file vault and see what sustained transfer speeds you get.
N/A

Download rate question.

Try doing a large download from the PlusNet file vault and see what sustained transfer speeds you get.

I got a maximum of 50k/sec, a minimum of 47k/sec and an aveerage of 48k/sec.
Community Veteran

Download rate question.

Try the same with different RWIN values and MTU values.