Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download rate help

namtab
Grafter

Download rate help

Hi,just ran a BT Speed test and this was the result:

IP profile for your line is - 6000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 6816 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5229 kbps

Can anyone please explain why I never see actual download speeds higher than 1800kps also I have ran many differant speed tests and the best iv got is 2200kps and as low as 800kps, but the BT test is always higher! I have done this at differant times of the day.
My PN High-speed Broadband Service says 6500kps and this has been consistant for some months now, i am using a netgear DG834G router, Thanks.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Download rate help

What account type are you on and if Premier or BB+, what is your usual monthly peak time usage?

The other thing to check is your MTU and RWIN settings - have you tweaked those at all.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
namtab
Grafter

Download rate help

Hi elvin, im on PAYG,and as for the mtu and rwin settings no i have't tweaked them,whats the settings i should try,and do i change them in the router settings? thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Download rate help

MTU and RWIN are settings in your PC, MTU will also be set in your router.

To get recommendations for your MTU and RWIN go to http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks and run the test. If you are not sure about the results it will give you a URL near the bottom (it starts http://www.dslreports.com/tweakr/block ) which you can post back here. That site also has DrTCP which you can use to change the settings - there will be a link to download it on the results page or you can find here.

After the test has run you have to enter some settings before you get the recommendations. For you these will be

• Service - dsl
  • Download speed - 8192
  • Operating system - whatever you are using
  • Connection pppoA

My current settings are:

For your router go to WAN setup and it's the last item. This must be the same or greater than the MTU on your PC.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
namtab
Grafter

Download rate help

Cheesy Thanks Elvin,have done what you said, basicly had to enable Salective Acks and Windows Scaling, have done some speed tests including the PN test and now getting 4800kps on average, i am now a very happy PN cousomer, Thanks.