cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download rate drops when machine is left ,

N/A

Download rate drops when machine is left ,

Hi all,
So far the service has been very good with only a couple of times that I couldn't get on, but I expected that anyway.

Any way, the problem I am having is that if I am downloading of ftp or peer to peer and I leave it to it, After a while (maybe an hour or a bit longer) when i come back the connection is still there but the bps has gone down to very poor modem rates. However as soon as I start using the machine it then kicks back in.

OS XP Pro
256mb Ram
P4 2.1
No screen saver or power saving enabled.

Any clues?

Thanks in Advance
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Download rate drops when machine is left ,

> Hi all,
> So far the service has been very good with only a couple of times that I couldn't get on, but I expected that anyway.
>
> Any way, the problem I am having is that if I am downloading of ftp or peer to peer and I leave it to it, After a while (maybe an hour or a bit longer) when i come back the connection is still there but the bps has gone down to very poor modem rates. However as soon as I start using the machine it then kicks back in.
>
> OS XP Pro
> 256mb Ram
> P4 2.1
> No screen saver or power saving enabled.
>
> Any clues?
>
> Thanks in Advance

Yes i have the same problem here just done a speed test and heres the results

Direction Actual Speed True Speed
Downstream 332 Kbps (41.5 KB/sec) 381 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 242 Kbps (30.3 KB/sec) 278 Kbps (inc. overheads)

rubbish download speed, it was working fine the other day.
N/A

Just done a reboot and run the test again it's worse now

Direction Actual Speed True Speed
Downstream 258 Kbps (32.3 KB/sec) 296 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 243 Kbps (30.4 KB/sec) 279 Kbps (inc. overheads)

what can we do, it was like it the other weekend, i told tech support about it, and they said it's wasn't a generic problem back then.
N/A

Mine is about 41 as well, usually about 55-58
obviously something wrong - my line keeps dropping as well ! I have had open ticket on performance for several weeks BT have looked at it twice with no improvemnt so far
N/A

ok what is happening, just had my system off for about 30mins rebooted and the speed is back to normal 58 - 59kb/s
N/A

you using a routerHuhHuh cause these symtoms are shown,when behind a router that the timeout connection isn't set long enough.
N/A

> you using a routerHuhHuh cause these symtoms are shown,when behind a router that the timeout connection isn't set long enough.

Nope i'm using a USB modem. The speed is ok this afternoon, this is very odd
dhumble
Grafter

I have the USB modem and Plus.Net for only a month. After allowing for the firmware fixes to Plus's hardware, I too thought FTP was slow.

I noticed the following from Customer Support:-

----
ADSL Speed Issues (MTU)
Dear Customer,

It has been brought to our attention by BT that the ADSL RAS servers route traffic differently at busy times dependant on the MTU setting used. Several customers have reported to us that by changing a systems MTU settings an improvement has been noticed to their ADSL service.

The Internet's Transmission Control Protocol uses the MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) to determine the maximum size of each packet in any transmission. Too large an MTU size may mean retransmissions if the packet encounters a router that can't handle that large a packet. Too small an MTU size means relatively more header overhead and more acknowledgements that have to be sent and handled. Most computer operating systems provide a default MTU value that is suitable for most users.

In regards to BT's ADSL Network it has become apparent that the optimum MTU TCP packet size when using DSL over BT in the UK should be 1458. To administer and change the MTU value on a Windows based PC is quite a difficult process and should not be attempted unless you consider yourself to be competent enough to manually edit the registry. We would like to point out that we are unable to offer support in administering the changes to your system.

There are utilities available to change MTU values such as drtcp.exe which is available from: http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html

We would like to stress that by altering your MTU value is by no means are sure fire way to resolve all types of ADSL connectivity problems. At best, altering your systems MTU value will only enhance an existing and fully functional ADSL connection. If you are not experiencing poor connection speeds or data transfer rates then we strongly suggest that you do not try and alter any of your systems MTU settings.

Kind Regards,

Customer Support.

----

However, the link was broken. Instead try, http://www.dslreports.com/front/drtcp.html

Things then picked up here! Smiley

David
dhumble
Grafter

Also, I have just seen this on Service Status:-

----
ADSL MTU Size - New Support Page
Dear Customer,

Further to our last announcement regarding MTU size, we have produced some Support pages containing information on how to adjust these settings. Any ADSL customers experiencing slow speeds should visit the following link:

http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?bvIkeqvfDEk%3D

Kind Regards,
Customer Support.
----

David
N/A

The fact you are using a USB modem does not help the matter.

USB modems are simply media converters. They take Interface typeA, and convert it to interface typeB. In this case, they translate the incoming data from a ADSL connection, and feed it too the computer using a USB feed.

The computer will then have to do the rest of the work, like decoding the packets and feeding it into the IP stack.

This all requires CPU, and is why USB modems are so small. They don't do the processing work, but feed it to the computer for it to do it. This is the same with PCI modems, thoughg the bandwidth available betweent he PCI card and the CPU is a lot greater, and produces slightly faster speeds.

A few years back, bios creators and CPU manufacturers created a way of turning down the speed of a CPU while it is on. THis allowed for less power drain, less heat and longer CPU life.

This was implimented by software that would run when asked to, or when the computer is idle. Some newer motherboards now have this built in as well, rather than using software.

As such, reduced CPU speed, means longer processing time for data, including DSL traffic.

Most software and hardward CPU speed reduceing methods, detect only mouse and keyboard actions, and work on a system, where if CPU usage goes above a certain threshhold, it will place it back to full speed. This threashold will somtimes be based on a avaerage, rather than a set figure, so that systems where the background CPU usage is higher than normal, doesn't provent CPU idle speed reduction.

All this combined, could be causing these issues.