cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download limiting freeware

N/A

Hi all
Does anyone know of, or can recommend, any free software than can keep check on and LIMIT the amount of data downloaded per month??

My young daughter has an account on my PC and, due to moving to broadband shortly, i want to limit the amount of downloading she can perform.

Thanks in advance
Bob
13 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Bob,

I don't know of a program that will actually stop any further downloading after a given limit but I use a free program called Netmeter that will allow you to keep track of your usage.
You can also set a limit that will alert you.

Here is a link.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/netmeter.html

Regards

Paul.
N/A

Many thanks Paul....will have a look Smiley
Bob
N/A

Are you worried about downloads using P2P programs? or just in general?
madswitcher
Grafter

Bob

If you are also worried about the P2P stuff affecting your other access such as web browsing, I got a very useful device offeBay for about £50 called a Netscreen.

As well as being a very solid firewall, it allows you to set up the prioties of the various protocols that go over your connection and what time of the day and day of the week they can be used

Worth a look if any more come up on the eBay site.

Regards, Mike
N/A

Hi
Many thanks for the repies.

Gadgetboy....worried about both m8. I don't want to find, say mid-month, that something like Kazza has snaffled most of our bandwidth allowance!

Hastings1066....that Netscreen looks very interesting. I'll be using a Solwise Sar 130 Router and i'm pretty sure some quite complex rules can be set up on that....but of course they'll only apply to machines on the network it serves. in this case it's simply two seperate accounts on the same machine.

Cheers all

Bob
N/A

Hi,

If you setup your daughter's account within XP to be a limited user account, then she won't be able to install any new software to the machine. Also ensure your account has a password that she doesn't know.

This way you can limit what what program she can see and that can access the internet.

In addition, if you check under connection setting, left bar, do you see the option surf? if you enable this, it's meant to prevent P2P applications etc from working. I think it probably blocks most of the common P2P application ports, but I'm guessing here.

Aaron
lowry
Grafter

Hi there,
You can prevent P2P applications & Binary Newsgroups from working on your connection (and therefore using up bandwidth) by enabling the Surf option in Connection Settings, in the portal. Note: you will have to disconnect, and reconnect for the changes to take effect each time you enable/disable the Surf option.

If you are on a capped product, it is also worth checking for spyware and adware reguarly using Spybot Search & Destroy and/or AdAware because these nasty applications can eat up bandwidth too. This tutorial may be worth a read too.

matt Wink
N/A

Yes it always worth checking for spyware, as this can also slow down your machine.

Lowry, I thought I mentioned surf already Wink lol
Novagal
Grafter

Bobtuck and all,

I would be careful with installing the free bandwidth meter from Netmeter as it is trojan related and basically is a spyware....privacy compromised!!

Regards,

Kuredu.
N/A

Been using Netmeter for some time now and have never encountered any spyware or other problems with it. Also run Spybot and Adaware.

Please give links to your information to the contrary.
N/A

I would also like to see evidance to the contrary.

I have been recomending thsi software for some time, and even use it in test environments.

I most definatly don't want anything spyware related, however, I would ahve though i had seen something by now.
N/A

If you do a search on Google for anything Trojan related to Netmeter it all appears to come from one source.

This would make me think it is a load of rubbish as it has been around for some time and this info is not coming from a range of sources.

I'm happy with it on my system and it has never been detected as a problem but I would be interested to hear some evidence stating otherwise.
N/A

I don't know about netmeter per se, but I do know it will appear on many anti-spyware programme lists as it clearly does log user activity. Often these sites promoiting (selling) such spyware detection programmes wil highlight the presence of things that are esentially harmless, but appear in startup lists.

My rule of thumb is "if it's freeware, beware"

But hey, so is spybot, so I guess its the same thing whenever loading anything. If you're happy...

Interestingly, the links to netmeter d/ls from sites like downseek all seem to broken.....

I am sure there will be programmes out there do what you want, but I can't say I could recommend one