cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download Speeds

N/A

Download Speeds

I've just finished reading a couple of threads concerning the download speed with torrents, over the last couple of days i've seen my speed max out at 30kbs - now I've been at this long enough to run the usual checks for spyware and other nasties, and know what to expect in relation to seeders/leechers.
There have been no changes made to my set up
Taking into account the other threads on this subject and my experience over the last couple of days
Has there been some changes at Plus Net ?
I'm on the 2mb Prem £21.99
24 REPLIES
N/A

Download Speeds

I am also on 2MB Premier, and I've noticed a significate change in Download speeds when using DC++ P2P program. I would be interested to hear why this is.

My first thought was contention ratio, as this has recently changed from 20:1 to 50:1. I can't imagine that Traffic Filtering is happening as I'm on a Premier account but I can't explain it. My SpeedTest results are as normal, and the users I'm downloading from I know their upload speed and they confirmed that the download was definetly slow.

I've tried this at many different times of the day and the results are usually similar. Any information as to what could be causing this would be appreciated.
N/A

Download Speeds

There does appear to be some consistency in the reports of slow or slower d/l's using BT or other p2p apps. As to what is causing it, if at the Plus net end of things, we can only speculate. There has been plenty of that over on AG coupled with the high pings being reported to some of the gateways.

Without clear information from Plus Net we are unlikely to know and speculate is all we can do.

For those who dont visit, Plus Net AG board here
N/A

Download Speeds

I'd also like to note that my Upload Speed, when using DC++, isn't affected by whatever is causing this reduction in speed. I can quite easily MAX out my upload speed.

Before any one mentions that a MAXed upload kills your download speeds, I can say that the download slow downs have occured when I'm not uploading anything. I'm fully aware that to download you require at least some free upload bandwidth.

This is really starting to annoy me now. I'm NOT happy!
N/A

Download Speeds

"If the fault is found to be due to your equipment or configuration then an administration charge of £54.05 (£46+VAT) may be issued."

I'd like to raise a ticket regarding this but the about quote has put me off !!!
phatty
Grafter

Download Speeds

I have been suffering from slow download speeds on:

Bittorrent,

From PlusNet

My webhost.

I have been running the speed test over and over again, here are my last three test results:

25-07-2005 22:17:17 509.5 kbps
25-07-2005 22:16:23 210.1 kbps
25-07-2005 22:04:33 400.2 kbps

I am on 2MB Premier, and have checked for spyware / trojans etc.

Anyone got any ideas?
N/A

Download Speeds

If you are seeing consistently poor results from the BT speed tester check out kitz post here
N/A

Download Speeds

"If the fault is found to be due to your equipment or configuration then an administration charge of £54.05 (£46+VAT) may be issued."

I'd like to raise a ticket regarding this but the about quote has put me off !!!

That has put me off also in the past :?
N/A

Download Speeds

It look like more and more ppl are suffering from poor speeds, here's a few of mine from today. Rather poor I'm sure you'll agree. I'm doing another BT test after midnight tonight to see what that produces. I'm using Plusnet Premier 2mbit btw.

10am
Downstream 132 Kbps (16.5 KB/sec) 142 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 254 Kbps (31.8 KB/sec) 274 Kbps (inc. overheads)

1.50pm
Downstream 310 Kbps (38.8 KB/sec) 334 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 255 Kbps (31.9 KB/sec) 275 Kbps (inc. overheads)

6.15pm
Downstream 153 Kbps (19.1 KB/sec) 165 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 248 Kbps (31.0 KB/sec) 267 Kbps (inc. overheads)

BT Speedtest 1.30pm

97 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

BT Speedtest 1.40pm

81 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

BT Speedtest 9.20pm

86 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.
N/A

Download Speeds

my speeds are the worst. Have been for 3 months.
kathie1101
Grafter

Download Speeds

I switched from the 512k package to the 2mb broadband premier just about 2 weeks ago. At first it seemed great, but then over the last few days it has been terrible, been up and down more times than a brides nightie! Have run various speed tests including the BT one, and the speeds I am getting are anything from 442 kbps to 1938 kbps. To a certain extent I can live with this, as at it's worst it is just slightly worse than when I was on 512k, but it does nark me a little as I had to pay £30 to regrade to this package (£15 regrade & £15 downgrade).

But what is really doing my head in is when using P2P software, it is that bad that I could download quicker using a 56k dial up connection! I know that obviously speeds will vary from user to user depending on what they are downloading/uploading etc but every user I am getting lousy speeds - lucky if it is 2kbps. I never had this problem on my 512k connection just since regrading to 2mb. I specifically went for the premier option cos P2P wasn't limited unlike the other package.

Oh well, I'm going away today so no point raising a ticket, just hope it has been sorted out by the time I get back.
N/A

Download Speeds

Does anyone know anything about this little program - is it safe to use?

http://www.tcpiq.com/tcpIQ/LineSpeed/Download/

Cheers
Lew

If you have a look around the pages there is some interesting ( I think) information on PlusNet
N/A

Download Speeds

well my torrent dl speeds seem fine.. decent ones max out around 200, normal 30 - 90
N/A

Download Speeds

Im also 'suffering' from incredibly poor torrent download speeds. Currently downloading at a mighty 12k a second, with the upload sitting around 16k. It never used to be like this!

Oh im on BB Premier too. Just reading through a couple of those threads on ADSLGuide.. reads like a good story, and I have a sneaky hunch when I get to the end I will find out theres traffic shaping on BB premier after all..

[Edit] - And yes I was right... Super... At least now I know why Im stuck with 12k a sec downloads..
suec45
Grafter

Download Speeds

Yeah me too.

I am on premier yet torrents now seem to stay between 12k and 30k and never go much above that.

Surely this cant be traffic shaping as this is more than a 'small reduction' in download speeds. Plus this is at around 12am too, its not like its a peak time.