cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download Speed

N/A

Download Speed

i just wanted 2 know what da average download speed would be on an adsl 512kbps.
my cousin is also a plusnet adsl 512kbps member and he sed that his average download speed is 100kbps.

whats ur average download speed and whats da maximum speed u've ever downloaded at?
14 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Download Speed

> i just wanted 2 know what da average download speed would be on an adsl 512kbps.
> my cousin is also a plusnet adsl 512kbps member and he sed that his average download speed is 100kbps.
>
> whats ur average download speed and whats da maximum speed u've ever downloaded at?
-------------------------------------------------
What does he smoke thenHuh
100kbps in his dreams more like..............
-------------------------------------------------
N/A

> > i just wanted 2 know what da average download speed would be on an adsl 512kbps.
> > my cousin is also a plusnet adsl 512kbps member and he sed that his average download speed is 100kbps.
> >
> > whats ur average download speed and whats da maximum speed u've ever downloaded at?
> -------------------------------------------------
> What does he smoke thenHuh
> 100kbps in his dreams more like..............
> -------------------------------------------------
>

-----------
I regularly get 58-59k and have had 62k. Not sure where you get 100k from :p

Do an speed test on www.adslguide.org and I usually get about 480k actual, which means about 510k theoretical - that is the figure broadband is actually quoted at.

--
Come on Boro!
http://www.waynessa.co.uk/boro.htm
N/A

58-59k usually.. I never get 58-59 from kazaa tho, i dont understand, even when there's about 200 sources..
N/A

> 58-59k usually.. I never get 58-59 from kazaa tho, i dont understand, even when there's about 200 sources..
-----------------------------------------
actual download speed relies on a lot of things,one being the site you connect to.
2,how many are connected at the time with you(ratio),3,how many are connected to the site in question.
I have downloaded at 75kbps dropping to 50 - 60.
Depends on a lot.
--------------------------------------------------

N/A

It also depends on who you are "downloading" from, and what speed they are uploading at.

I generally download from websites around 40 - 50 kbs.

But when i have used Kazaa in the past it can be slower than a 56k modem. I have deleted Kazaa off my system, and now use Direct Connect for all of my music / apps / films etc.etc..- you also do not get any of those anoying pop-up advertising screens.

N/A

"It also depends on who you are "downloading" from, and what speed they are uploading at."
----------------------------------------------
Yes but if it is already on a website or server(inc.hard drive)then "they"will not be uploading.
It will be there to download and have nothing to do with upload.

rz2k7
Grafter

> "It also depends on who you are "downloading" from, and what speed they are uploading at."
> ----------------------------------------------
> Yes but if it is already on a website or server(inc.hard drive)then "they"will not be uploading.
> It will be there to download and have nothing to do with upload.
>
>

Err you're not quite right there. If you download from a site it means that they are using their upload speed to send to you. For instance I have a 30k upload speed, so if someone with a speed of 1mb connected to me they can only download from me at 30k(my maximum upload speed) even though they can download at higher speeds.
Now the reason you can download at full speed from most sites and servers is because their upload speed exceeds your download speed.
Does that make sense or am I talking rubbish? :deadhead:
N/A

If you connect to a website to download something then if it is on that site(for instance my one)then you would be getting it from my site.
You would download from that website(on a hard drive somewhere.
So if the file was "on the website"then why would it be be uploadedHuh??.
I upload my files to my webspace to be downloaded by anyone if needed.
So that being the case,it would already be there.
If there was a link to something on my pc then that is different.
N/A

> If you connect to a website to download something then if it is on that site(for instance my one)then you would be getting it from my site.
> You would download from that website(on a hard drive somewhere.
> So if the file was "on the website"then why would it be be uploadedHuh??.
> I upload my files to my webspace to be downloaded by anyone if needed.
> So that being the case,it would already be there.
> If there was a link to something on my pc then that is different.
>
:confused: When you are *downloading* from a site (a site being a web server, somebody elses PC or whatever), then the equivalent from their end is *uploading*. If you and they have 512k broadband, you can download at around 60k max but their upload speed is 30k max, meaning the complete 'transaction' can't possibly operate at more than 30k. :confused:

--
Come on Boro!
http://www.waynessa.co.uk/boro.htm
N/A

> > If you connect to a website to download something then if it is on that site(for instance my one)then you would be getting it from my site.
> > You would download from that website(on a hard drive somewhere.
> > So if the file was "on the website"then why would it be be uploadedHuh??.
> > I upload my files to my webspace to be downloaded by anyone if needed.
> > So that being the case,it would already be there.
> > If there was a link to something on my pc then that is different.
> >
> :confused: When you are *downloading* from a site (a site being a web server, somebody elses PC or whatever), then the equivalent from their end is *uploading*. If you and they have 512k broadband, you can download at around 60k max but their upload speed is 30k max, meaning the complete 'transaction' can't possibly operate at more than 30k. :confused:
----------------------------------------------------
My question is this:
If someone wants to download a file from my website(webspace),when they click the link to download,is that file then uploaded somewhere? or is it just downloaded to their pc?.
For instance,if I download a file or something from plusnet site(like drivers),is it just downloaded to my pc or does it get uploaded to somewhere first?

Customer Support Centre Dear customer

As per our phone call they will download the file from our server not your computer.

----------------------------------------------------

N/A

peer 2 peer enable you to download file from my computer not the server

Your current bandwidth reading is:

482.50kbps

Which means you can download at 60.31 KB/sec. from our servers.

N/A

> peer 2 peer enable you to download file from my computer not the server
>
>
>
> Your current bandwidth reading is:
>
>
> 482.50kbps
>
>
> Which means you can download at 60.31 KB/sec. from our servers.
------------------------------------------------
Yes,I know more than enough about P2P connections.
The issue is not/was not about that.
-----------------------------------------------------

N/A

if you get a bad download speed from a certain website try using plusnet's batch ftp utility to download the file to plusnet's servers from where you can download it at will
N/A

>Kev,

>>58-59k usually.. I never get 58-59 from kazaa tho, i dont understand, even when there's about 200 sources..<<

Another factor in slow downloads from Kazaa users,(Don't use Kazaa, use KAZAALITE which doesn't have the tracking and spyware-supposedly-that its forerunner does),is they have the ability to select what speed users can download from them. The type of modem also affects d'load speeds, too. 56k, cable will be slow, cable usually because the bandwidth is shared between upload/d'load, so the more d'loads for them, the less speed for U. Rare to find a user who hasn't twiddled his d'load speed to a lower setting unfortunately.

Fkarno