cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downgraded but more CRC errors

N/A

Since I downgraded to Broadband Plus I've noticed a large increase in CRC errors on my Zoom X5 router.

For a connection of 1 day 6 hours 42 minutes there have been 543 errored seconds. The CRC is 459 downstream and 433 up. This seems an awful lot compared to my Premium membership. Reading the 'net it seems these faults are generally on the other side of the router (ie with PN & BT).

Now I'm as thick as mud with these things so hope someone would kindly explain. Have PN conned me? Am I dreaming this or not? These are the readings that everybody asks for. Many thanks. :shock:

Exchange = 01253 29xxxx

SNR = 16.4 downstream, 6 up. Line attenuation 42.2 down, 31.5 up

Max TX power = (looks like) -38 dBm/Hz
11 REPLIES
N/A

I seem to be getting a lot of the recently. I have only moved from the £40 a month package to the £21.99 package, both being 2mb. I seem to remember getting them before this happend though.
I've just given my house new filters on each socket with a phone in the hope of getting rid of them, failing that I'd try a different router.
danep
Grafter

Hi everyone,

I have just been regraded to 2MB and now today I have been noticing alot of CRC errors. Not sure why but it is affecting the general speed of things. When it was first regraded a couple of days ago there were no probs. Must be something that has hapened today.

Any idea plussys? Is it a line quality issue??

Regards
Dane
N/A

Hi everyone,

I have just been regraded to 2MB and now today I have been noticing alot of CRC errors. Not sure why but it is affecting the general speed of things. When it was first regraded a couple of days ago there were no probs. Must be something that has hapened today.

Any idea plussys? Is it a line quality issue??

Regards
Dane

join the club see my post also..

I went to 2mb from 512k and now get random disconnections...plusnet aint being helpful either thats why I posted here.

Raise a ticket and ask for a whoosh test apparantly your suppose to have 43db loss and also around 7-8 ( no less then 6 or greater then 10) for your SNR rating...

But u can only get your SNR rating if u got a router..
Community Veteran

Raise a ticket and ask for a whoosh test apparantly your suppose to have 43db loss and also around 7-8 ( no less then 6 or greater then 10) for your SNR rating...

That statement about SNR needs correcting.

If you have a SNR less than about 10 you can expect trouble with your ADSL connection. There is NO upper limit for SNR and the higher this figure the better.
SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) is a measure of the level in dB's (Decibels) that your signal is above the noise level on your line so the greater this number the less effect the noise has.
danep
Grafter

Hi all

I think it must be to do with the DNS erros problem that plusnet just reported. My speed check has just dropped to 956 from 1875 a couple of days ago so I think this is more a plusnet/BT problem than one of our making.

I used to get CRC erros before re-grading when the PC had crashed and I relogged and Plusnets system didnt know I had dropped. A quick disconnect and reconnect always cured it. Not so this time.

Regards
Dane
N/A

A pity that PN don't respond. I too don't intend to spend 56 quid on checking something that may be thier fault.
danep
Grafter

Hi all

Well, its back to normal today, so Plusnet must have sorted it. Must have been the DNS thing I expect.

Regards
Dane
N/A

On 4 days 12 hours I'm now up to:

1657/ 1216 down/up errored seconds
240/161 down/up CRC errors and
8 reconnections.

Come on PlusNet can't you sort this out without my having to pay 56 quid to you?? The only thing on my system that has changed is a downgrade from you. As my original mail said these errors come from your side of the circuit.

Why don't you answer?Huh
N/A

I'm now over 1 CRC a minute (upstream) Evil
N/A

I think you may worry a bit too much. 1 crc a minute is nothing to worry about.
If you get to over 100 crc's a minute then you can start to worry a little but even that would not affect your adsl speed much.
No need to panic until your above 300 crc's a minute. And even this won't kill your adsl.
N/A

Thank you for saying that. If PN had done that a week ago I wouldn't have bothered with all these mails. Such a simple thing for them to say.