cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't rely on the VMU tool

N/A

Don't rely on the VMU tool to tell you that you have exceeded 20GB of "peak" ftp/p2p/usenet traffic.

I already knew that the VMU wasn't that useful, as it only shows you total usage and doesn't break out the "problem" protocols.

I had assumed however that if the VMU showed a total "peak" usage of below 20GB then I was still safe for the month. My VMU still shows my total 8am-midnight usage as less than 20GB.

So I was very surprised to receive an email today telling me I have been placed on level 1 management.

Unfortunately I was wrong about the VMU, apparently the VMU is a "guideline" only. To quote:

"The usage figures shown on the portal are only a guideline to actual usage. Because if this, there may be slight discrepancies between management applied to the account and the usage reported on the portal."

So the VMU can show your total "peak" usage as below 20GB, even when the other internal measure of usage has you as having used more than 20GB of "peak" "problem" traffic.

How useful is that ?

I have requested my MAC code now, as I am fed up with guessing whether or not I am inside the latest month's soft cap level.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

How close were you to the 20GB figure?

As the note says at the bottom of the VMBU, the page may not show traffic used in the past 2 hours, however the tools use to manage you account will use fully up to date figures hence why the management can be applied while the VMBU shows a figure less than 20GB.
N/A

I am close to the 20GB figure, but not that close.

At 16:00 yesterday it showed my total 8am-midnight as 19.802 GB, the email about level 1 came at 10:00.

But the two hour thing does not explain it. I know that in the last month I have used at least a couple of gig of "peak" non p2p/ftp/usenet usage.

So I would estimate that according to the VMU at least (which seems to be worthless) that I have used less than 17GB of problem usage. Clearly some other monitoring software that is secret knows different.

Anyway, I won't have to worry about this nonsense for much longer, my MAC code is here.
Community Veteran

Your issue was raised to PlusNet via the PUG as it does crop up from time to time. PlusNet's reply stated that when someone reports inacurrate VMBU figures, the raw data that the management is based on is verified and PlusNet have stated they have not yet seen any discrepencies in the totals used so far for any reports. They did also state the VMBU can be up to 2 hours out as far as data is concerned which is where many people get confused into thinking the VMBU is wrong when they see their peak totals less than 20GB yet management is applied.

They also stated the VMBU can only be used as a guide to usage and if you need up to the minute figures, you should use your own monitoring software.