cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doh! Regrade Messed Up!

N/A

Doh! Regrade Messed Up!

I put in a request to regrade my 1mbit line to 2mbit last monday (6 days ago). On thursday my line dropped sync, then synced a couple of minutes later but still at the old 1mbit speed. the only change now was that i couldn't actually log onto the adsl account. My plusnet login didnt work, the bt test login didnt work, and the bt test plusnet realm login didnt work either. I reset my router (speedtouch 510), changed firmware etc to no avail.

The line is definitely synced as i get my attenuation and SNR values (both are well within 2mbit limits) but otherwise dead.

Plusnet know about this (ive got an open ticket) but its been two days now with no service and I was wondering if anyone has come across anything similar and if anyone knows how long it will take to fix. i assume it requires an engineer visit at the exchange (earls court, london).

cheers,
nick
16 REPLIES
N/A

Doh! Regrade Messed Up!

This normaly doesn't require an enigneer visit, as most exchanges are staffed for this kind of situation.

However, in some cases, weekends don't help these faults. If you don't hear anything by 4pm on Monday, I suggest a phone call.
Community Veteran

Doh! Regrade Messed Up!

This normaly doesn't require an enigneer visit, as most exchanges are staffed for this kind of situation.

Not any longer Philip.
This did used to be the case a few years ago but with the introduction of "Multi Skilling" it's sadly no longer true.
Most excanges are now covered by a pool of staf who look after several of them and cover many other jobs as well.
This was all just starting when I left them in 1994 when a project called "Works Manager" was being rolled out. Sad and a great many of us took the "Golden Hanshake" and got the hell out :lol:
N/A

Doh! Regrade Messed Up!

However, in some cases, weekends don't help these faults. If you don't hear anything by 4pm on Monday, I suggest a phone call.

a phone call to whom? plusnet or bt (errr, i was told not to call bt by plusnet).

tis getting a bit annoying now!

the plusnet guy said he would only chase up BT if nothing had happened 48 hours after the fault had been reported, that would be tonight sometime. any chance BT will fix it on a saturday night?
Community Veteran

Doh! Regrade Messed Up!

1. You need to deal through PlusNet as they are the supplier of your ADSL and they communicate with BT to pass on faults etc.

2. Sadly I think the 48 hours or 2 days means "Working Days" i.e Monday to Friday, so you may not see any action until Monday.

It has however been known for BT to clear faults on a Saturday so fingers croosed you may be lucky.
N/A

Doh! Regrade Messed Up!

yeah i know i have to go through Plusnet.

the guy was sure it was 48 hrs from the first reported fault, as he assured me BT worked nights and weekends. sadly, my connection is still fubared so we will see if it works tomorrow.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed as it was just an unnecessary copy of the preceding post
N/A

Doh! Regrade Messed Up!

BT have a SLG (service level gurantee) in place, that states they will look at X% reported faults within 48 hours of the ISP reporting them.

This means that some can slip outside of the 28 hour mark for some. You also have to allow time for the ISP to pick reports up, and actualy enter them to BT.
N/A

Doh! Regrade Messed Up!

Hmmm a bit of an update on the situation.

Apparently BT have concluded that there is a fault within my premises even though nothing whatsoever changed when the Connection dropped last week. The line is now syncing at 512k (even though the regrade is mean to go the other direction to 2mb) and i still cant connect to the ISP realm. I REALLY dont see how this can be a problem at my end.
N/A

Doh! Regrade Messed Up!

That stage normaly means they want to send an engineer to you, to test from your premesis.

Check your link:contact us tickets, to see if PlusNet are asking for nay dates.
N/A

Doh! Regrade Messed Up!

they are coming on thursday.

i still dont see how it can be an issue on our end. Ive got the router plugged into a filter (yes ive tested numerous filters) into the phone line (we only have two outlets in the flat). Its worked fine like that for well over a year. The fault occured the same day that BT logged my regrade as being complete (according the BT database that the plusnet support tem have access to) so im almost certain its an exchange issue.
N/A

Doh! Regrade Messed Up!

As I said, it doesn't mean that the problme is ar your end, just that your premesis is the only other place they can perform diagnostic tests from.
N/A

Doh! Regrade Messed Up!

well the engineer called me yesterday and said that he didnt need to come to my house because he could see the problem was at the exchange. Then he phoned back an hour later and said he "im surprised that your ISP let you regrade to 2mbit because the Earls court exchange doesnt really offer it" at which point i thought wtf. a few minutes later the phone line went dead for ten minutes.

when it came back up i phoned 150 to check the progress of the fault - the women said the engineer had moved my phone line from one card to the other in the exchange (she read out some techy sounding numbers) and that the engineer has signed off the fault.. guess what, still no adsl, the router (i have tried several) will not sync.

argh,
Community Veteran

Doh! Regrade Messed Up!

You have been shafted by BT this time. It really amazes me that jobs can just be signed off by the engineer without any feedback from the customer that the fault has actually been fixed.

You can try ringing 150 again and stating the problem has not been fixed and see what they can do. Failing that your only other course of action is to go through plusnet, explain what has happened who in turn will talk to BT.
N/A

Doh! Regrade Messed Up!

As for the ISP "allowing you to have 2Mb". THis is actualy down to BT. They are the ones that have the final say on if or not you should be enabled.

ISPs just submit the orders, and hope the progress.
LiamM
Grafter

Doh! Regrade Messed Up!

And your exchange status is Green, so there should be no issues so long as you're within reach.