cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Doesn't 512kbps mean 64KB/s?

N/A

Doesn't 512kbps mean 64KB/s?

I've never seen the full 512kbps/64KBs speed ever when downloading.

The most i've seen (from a fast site) is 500kbps/62.5KBs using DU Meter to check overall max speed.

Why is the dial up connection reported as 576kbps/288kbps when it isn't? If it was that speed, you would expect transfer rates of 72KB/s download and 36KB/s upload.

An extra 10KB/s on the download rate would make a nice little difference - around 250MB an hour.
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Doesn't 512kbps mean 64KB/s?

Certainly your theorys are right. In practice though its damned good to achieve a download rate of 60KB/s. The download/upload speeds really depend on internet traffic, if you're downloading from America for instance, it will be slightly slower than if you're downloading from the UK or even Europe. Generally speaking speeds can be slightly slower in the early evenings when internet usage is very high, best results can be achieved in the mornings.

I can sometimes achieve d/l speeds of 62KB/s but usually it tends to be between 40 and 50KB/s and that's quite good really (much better than the 3 to 5KB/s with 56k dialup.

Melodytune
N/A

From a certain website I achieve always 58KB+. Havn't trtied any other sites with major downloads (not under 10Megs) so i dont know about that... only had adsl working since sunday. I believe the 576kbps and 288kbps you are talking about include the latency factor, which slows down the speed to around 512/500 etc. Since this is a 500 account you tend to get just less than 500.

Asim.
N/A

The 576 kbs speed is because there is some overhead in the packets sent, I believe the low level packets are all 45 bytes, of which 5 bytes are system overhead, which means you only get 40/45 of the bandwidth (which is 88%, and 88% of 576 is 512).

Other factors such as latency, exchange congestion, ISP link contention and so on mean you very rarely get the full 64 KB/sec, if you're getting 60 or more, you're doing well.
N/A

If you want better download speeds have a look at
http://www.amazesoft.com/ and try the FlashGet downloader. I get speeds in excess of 80kb/s regularly.