cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the quality of ADSL depend on which area you're in/whic

N/A

Does the quality of ADSL depend on which area you're in/whic

I find it fascenating to read the mixed feelings regarding Plusnet's Broadband service. Some are extremely happy with the service while others are extremely dissatisfied while at present my comments would fall somewhere inbetween.

Seems that I can achieve good d/l speeds but sometimes have problems with unresponsive connections and pages taking 10/20 seconds to download and sometimes getting disconnected while other users have very poor d/l speeds and for others, all's fine with no problems whatsoever.

Does the quality of service therefore depend on where you live and/or which exchange you're connected to?
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Does the quality of ADSL depend on which area you're in/

> Does the quality of service therefore depend on where you live and/or which exchange you're connected to?

yes it does. It can depends on how far you are from the exchange, the closer the better. The limit is 3.5kms for ADSL, and 5.5kms for Ranged ADSL (RADSL). I think thats correct dont hold be too it though.

It also depends on the line quality. They may be fine for phone calls and most modems. But for ADSL it has to be very very clear due to the way the data is sent.
So the older the line the worse adsl might be.

w2k
N/A

> yes it does. It can depends on how far you are from the exchange, the closer the better. The limit is 3.5kms for ADSL, and 5.5kms for Ranged ADSL (RADSL). I think thats correct dont hold be too it though.
>
> It also depends on the line quality. They may be fine for phone calls and most modems. But for ADSL it has to be very very clear due to the way the data is sent.
> So the older the line the worse adsl might be.
>
>
> w2k

Cheers for that info. What I should also have pointed out is that I posted the thread on the assumption that the owners' routers/modems were set up properly and are working correctly. Thanks again.
N/A

This issue has nothing to do with the distance from the exchange. Your modem reports and sets that as it connects, according to the line conditions.If yiou click the ican it will report a connection speed...often maximium (512k in my case) but this is only to the exchange card..therafter it depends on the routers and plusnet.

The slowness is caused by packet loss and failure and is a serious fault in the routing process.

The area you live in may well affect this but only if there is a fault in the local exchange or on the rout between it and plusnet or plusnet and the source of the data you require.

Plusnet have a problem and it is a big one.
N/A

> The area you live in may well affect this but only if there is a fault in the local exchange or on the rout between it and plusnet or plusnet and the source of the data you require.
>
> Plusnet have a problem and it is a big one.

And I think it's down to how many people are connected to your "port" on your local exchange. I believe this is where the contention ratio comes in which is set by BT as 50/1 on the home 500 based products.