cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anybody else have problems with disconnections.

N/A

My broadband connection has a habit of disconnecting itself....not too often but it rarely manages to stay connected for more than four hours or so

I am using the Voyager 105 usb modem in Windows XP

Has anyone else had a similar problem?
14 REPLIES
N/A

Yes

My connection also disco's every four hour or so.
N/A

it is a problem particularly because the modem needs physically disconnecting and resyncing before it will reconnect at all in Windows

The automatic reconnect feature therefore doesn't work...and leaving downloads on when i'm not about becomes a bit of a lottery.

Any one else had problems?
N/A

Having been with no connection for almost a week, I was pleased to find it back on Sunday morning all LLU'd and ready to go. Since it apeared that my modem didn't like these new speeds, I went out and bought myself a new router (D-Link DSL-G624T).

This disconnects at least once an hour possibly more. I enjoy playing Warcraft but in EVERY game I played I was cauing lag and resulted in being booted. How can I have lag when speed tests report over 7Mb connection? Never had that problem before....

I thikn what is happening is that my router is disconnecting/reconnecting me very quickly however, I get 'big' disconnects which seem to need to power off/on my kit, sometimes reboot my computer.

I haven't really had much chance to investigate but I don't think the router is the problem.

I raised a ticket this morning but am still waiting for a reply.
N/A

Do you have these settings

- VPI = 0, VCI = 38
- ADSL Modulation: Auto or G.DMT
- Encapsulation Mode: PPP over ATM (PPPoA - RFC2364) or VC-MUX - NOT LLC-Based or PPPoE
- Authentication Mode: CHAP

They seem to have helped in some cases.
N/A

I am sure ADSL Modulation is set to Auto. Couldn't be sure what Authentication Mode is set to but when I was setting up the router I had those settings in front of me..

Everything else is definately correct.
hillers
Grafter

Yep, been having the same problem for 6 weeks now since I been maxed with connections lasting from 1/2 hour to 3 hours before dropping. Also been emailing support for the last month trying to get help which has not helped much.

But I've now requested BT look into it as a possible fault
N/A

Frequent Disconnections

Me, not able to stay connected for more than an hour. It'll disconnect itself. Also I have these disconnection if I make or receive any phone call. Any body else having same problem. I am using Zyxel USB modem provided by Plusnet.

Any tips ......Huh?Huh
Highlighted
N/A

Must admit that I decided enough was enough so took my router back tot he store and swapped it for a Belkin.

It has been up and running now for almost 24 hours without any disconnects. The only negative is that it is connecting slower so my max speed is around 5Mb. With the Dlink router I was connectng at about 7.5Mb

BUT I would much prefer to be connected with a stable 5Mb than a flakey 7Mb

I am hoping that my connection will remain stable and then I can close my ticket!!!!
Naiad
Grafter

Re: Frequent Disconnections

Me, not able to stay connected for more than an hour. It'll disconnect itself. Also I have these disconnection if I make or receive any phone call. Any body else having same problem. I am using Zyxel USB modem provided by Plusnet.

Any tips ......Huh?Huh

One thing I read while trying to find out info about cutoffs is that DECT digital phones, fax machines etc can cause interference to a Broadband connection if sited too near your modem. Try moving one or t'other and see if it helps.
N/A

I've had trouble with disconnecting. It started about 5 weeks ago.... It would be fine for an hour or so then drop.. the modem would reset, connect then drop ..over and over again. Plusnet asked if i had done this that and the other. My fault it seems!! NOT!
This fault cleared up the next day. It was fine for a couple of weeks, then... gone again.
I contacted BT who said there was nothing wrong with my line. Plusnet said there was nothing wrong... so why is it that i have been connected continuously for the last week
without changing my settings or hardware?
Where did the fault come from? It wasn't Plusnets end cos they told me.. it wasn't BTs end cos they told me.. it wasnt my fault cos i bloody well know that!
Its one of those mysteries :-)
N/A

disconnections

I am new to PN and have a bang up to date Mac and Netgear router. I have had a terrible start with PN with disconnections, but things do seem better, the longest continuous connections are approx 12 and 22 hours. When I check router status it has always been disconnected. This is a worry especially when it can happen part way through important transactions. I was with claranet before and stayed connected certainly for well over a year at a time. I do hope things continue to improve as I believe contacting PN is a no go area.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
N/A

I've been suffering connection problems ever since PN told me I'd been switched to an alternative network. When the connection is lost or I turn off the router it can take anything from 20 mins. to several hours to get reconnected. PN used the usual delaying tactics - "your router's faulty", "check the settings", "your line's faulty". Well I checked my router on a neighbour's line and it connected in seconds as it should do. I requested a line check from the Post Office who bill me for my telephone line. They called back to confirm no faults and "are you with Tiscali by any chance as we are getting an unusually high number of their customers reporting problems?" Surprise, surprise Plusnet have just announced that they have done a deal with Tiscali and transferred 12000 customers to that network.
If any other PN customers have experienced connection problems since being told they've been switched to the other network, don't believe their knee-jerk response that the problem is at your end. They should fess-up that they having problems and (hopefully) working to correct them.
N/A

disconnections

Remember the old adage, "a bad workman always blames his tools"

I wouldn't like to call Netgear bad tools, would anyone?
N/A

Re: disconnections

I've been driven round the bend by disconnections with PN. I swapped my trusty router from a DSL-504 to a Netgear DG834GV2, it worked fine for about 2 weeks them BAM. No internet connection, the router was connected I could see that in the status. The logs told me "LLC is allowed to come up" I searched and apparently it's not an unknown fault with the DG834G router, funny though, my company has more than 60 of these routers running on BT broadband without a hickup. I replaced the router and it worked. Until recently when my 8Mb upgrade took place. Very strange, on Thursayd 27th july I had no internet connection again, the router was connected but again the log was full of "LLC is allowed to come up". Same thing on the Friday, Saturday I had the internet back, but very slow - a network test showed it as 119K. It has improved to a whopping 235K (this is when the router is connected at 6.8Mb to the exchange). I've had enough though luckily my company is providing me with a BT Business Broadband connection. Goodbye Plusnet. I'm currently trying to find out how to cancel my broadband connection but cannot find ant where to do it, another reason to leave PN!!!!!

I am new to PN and have a bang up to date Mac and Netgear router. I have had a terrible start with PN with disconnections, but things do seem better, the longest continuous connections are approx 12 and 22 hours. When I check router status it has always been disconnected. This is a worry especially when it can happen part way through important transactions. I was with claranet before and stayed connected certainly for well over a year at a time. I do hope things continue to improve as I believe contacting PN is a no go area.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the <a href=http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35201>Forum Rules</a href>