cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Sam Really Know ?

N/A

Does Sam Really Know ?

I was thinking about upgrading to 4 Mb, so, out of curiosity, I had a look at the " Sam Knows" webpage to see if I could get 4Mb. According to Sam, " You are 1.7 Km from your exchange. You can have 512Mb, you may be able to have 1Mb, you can not have 2Mb ".
Very strange, as I already have 2Mb, and it's a rock solid connection that has never once dropped out and always performs at around 240 KB down and 30KB up.
According to my router-

SNR 20.6 down 27 up
ATT 45.0 down 24 up
Output power ( dBm ) 11.8 down 18.4 up
Attainable rate 5248 down 1112 up

As far as I can tell, I should be able to have 4 Mb with no probs, so where does Sam get his info.
What I don't want, is to try and upgrade and find that BT suddenly decide that I can only have 1 Mb, which has happened to others. Is there a way to find out for certain what the line is capable of ?
Regards, John Taylor.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Does Sam Really Know ?

I don't know where Sam gets his information, but even to my non-techie mind one thing stands out from your router stats

You have a downstream attenuation of 45.
That is above BT's limit of 43 for getting 2 Mb - if it's working at 2 Mb with no problems, great, but in theory you should only have 1 Mb with that figure.
N/A

Does Sam Really Know ?

Whoops, sorry, got the figures back to front. SNR should be 45 & 24 and the Attenuation 20.6 & 27. Should read things more carefully when I'm typing. Shockedops:
Regards, John Taylor.
hitachi
Grafter

Does Sam Really Know ?

4 meg is still in trial and only on a small number of exchanges,so no bt based checker is going to tell you if you can get 4 meg or not.
Community Veteran

Does Sam Really Know ?

Whoops, sorry, got the figures back to front. SNR should be 45 & 24 and the Attenuation 20.6 & 27.

In that case I cant see that there is any danger that you would get knocked back to less than 2Mb

When max DSL does come out I beleive it will allow 0.5Mb steps and will automaticaly detect what your line will take reliably.
N/A

Does Sam Really Know ?

Thanks for the replies, just curious as to why Sam tells me I can't have what I've already got. The reason I was thinking of upgrading was more to do with the SUP than speed.
Regards, John Taylor.