cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you lose your free .co.uk domain name when upgrading???

N/A

I asked this question in another thread, but a reply from dtomlinson, PlusNet Comms Team, wasn't clear to myself and a couple of other members....

If you upgrade from an account that includes a free domain to one which doesn't then you have a couple of options for that domain. Either you can change it over to be the £1 domain on that account, or it can become a standard domain and pay the full fee when it comes up for renewal (or choose not to renew it or transfer it out).
The domain isn't cancelled (or detagged) unless you wished it to be cancelled.

What I want to know is:

1. Do we get to keep the free domain, contrary to what it says in the ADSL signup contract (see below)

Personalise your email and Internet address with unique domain name

You can register a '.co.uk' domain name from PlusNet along with your account. Choose from any available name to create your own personal e-mail and Internet address. Just £1 (inc VAT) per month.

Please note that this will replace any free .co.uk Domain on your current account - if you do not opt for this you will loose any free .co.uk Domain on your account.

x . . I want a '.co.uk' domain with my account for £1 per month
x . . No thank you

You must select an option

2. If we do get to keep the free domain when selecting the "no thank you" option (we were told by forum modulators that this is the case), can we elect to pay £1 per moth to maintain our .co.uk domain when the free period expires and not part way through - at the time we upgrade to ADSL?

Thankyou
Mark Simpson
5 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

No matter which option you choose the domain name will stay on the account. However, if you upgrade to a Broadband Home account the domain will no longer be free.
You can opt for the £1 domain and raise a ticket asking us to change it to become the £1 domain.
If you don't opt for the £1 domain then when the domain is up for renewal you can either pay us £52.88 to renew it, transfer it out to someone else to renew it or ask for it not to be renewed.
Community Veteran

And as I commented in the other thread, the page in question needs to be changed to include what you have just said as without it, it's impossible to know what will happen to the domain if you select either of the current 2 options. I tried to make this clearer in my original reply in the other thread.

I think the two sentances that is causing all the confusion are...
You can register a '.co.uk' domain name from PlusNet along with your account.

and
if you do not opt for this you will loose any free .co.uk Domain on your account.

Which to me reads you will lose your current domain whatever option you choose (the 1st meaning your free domain is replaced with a newly registered domain, and the 2nd saying no will mean you no longer have your free domain), which is clearly not true.

Can you raise an internal problem to get the page updated so it explains what can or will happen please (which I think is one of the reasons this was raised again)
N/A

I see - so if we opt not to pay £1 per month to maintain the name, we will face the higher charge of £52.88 to re-register the same name when the free domain expires after 12 months.

I second petervaughan's (thanks for your help BTW peter) request for the wording of the sign up to be made clearer..

I also think that this option should be presented the step before you've finally committed and authorised payment. It just feels unpleasant the way it is.

The issue was raised publically and I feel we didn't get a satisfactory answer., which is why I submitted another thread (with permission from a moderator).

Thanks
Mark

I see - so if we opt not to pay £1 per month to maintain the name, we will face the higher charge of £52.88 to re-register the same name when the free domain expires after 12 months.

The free domain has already been paid for by PlusNet when you originally signed up. So if you don't include it as your £1 domain, the domain is no longer associated with your account so I'm not sure what actually happens to it or if you can actually continue using it (can this be confirmed by PlusNet please, and also confirm who actually owns it in this state). When the domain registration has to be renewed, you can either pay the £52 to renew it or instruct PlusNet to transfer the domain to someone else (who then pays the £52) or you say you don't want to renew it and it's registration will lapse and someone else can register it if they want.

Mark, I think the following part of your post needs to be added to the signature part of your profile to stop it being included whenever someone quotes your post to reply. That is how my signature is done. Just click on the profile link at the top of the page.

Mark, I think the <edit>signature</edit> part of your post needs to be added to the signature part of your profile to stop it being included whenever someone quotes your post to reply. That is how my signature is done. Just click on the profile link at the top of the page.

Thanks Peter ...done.

When/ how should we expect to hear a response on this (you seem to have asked for one) from PlusNet ?