cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you get disconnected for high usage at night?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Hi guys,

Well as the title asks:

Do you get disconnected overnight for using any internet intensive software including p2p, http downloads, ftp, or any other intense traffic usage?

Please let me have your answers!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
21 REPLIES
Community Veteran

PlusNet will not disconnect you, that is more likely to be caused by a fault with your equipment or phone line.

Chilly
Community Veteran

No of PlusNets traffic limits / allowances / restrictions will cause a disconnect. At most your speed will be restricted to 128Kbs but you still remain connected.

In what way do you get disconnected and how long does it last for. Once disconnected, do you connect straight away or do you have to do something.

I suspect this is probably a fault with your router not being able to cope with high traffic / lots of sessions (in the case of P2P). Try reducing the number of sessions you have with P2P; start with a very low number like 100 and see if the problem remains.

WHat ADSL equipment do you use and what firmware version is it running. Often these kinds of problems are fixed in later firmware so try the latest for your equipment.
Community Veteran

Hi

Well I'm using the Voyager 105 USB modem on a ICS host. It isn't used for anything intensive other than sharing the internet connection and sometimes downloading overnight (while the rest of the network is shut down).

To put it bluntly whenever heavy downloading is performed overnight, PN drops the connection at some point. When I come down in the morning, the DSL is still synchronised BUT I am unable to reconnect to PN - I get the remote computer did not respond error - continually. It's like PN have purposefully blocked the DSL connection from reconnecting.

If I then pull the plug for the DSL modem out of the phone line and then plug it back in again (thus breaking the DSL connection) it will re-synchronise and then I am able to connect instantly on the first attempt. This is WITHOUT the PC being rebooted, unplugged, settings changed etc.

I'd like to beleive it's just a fault on the line or something simple like that but being that there's always large amounts od data transfer inolved when it happens I'd find that rather hard to beleive.

I also have a router which has similar connection problems so it isn't anything my end.

Must be said though, the actual DSL connection/synchronisation remains unaffected. It's only the actual network connection to PN via the DSL that is disconnected. Trouble is, top reconnect I must unplug it from the phone line - even though it's synchronised.
Community Veteran

I also have a router which has similar connection problems so it isn't anything my end.

That does not prove that it is not an issue with your phone line or microfilters. (It possable does rule out the modem and router.)

For example my SNR drops every night from 12dB to 6DB at 23:30 and recovers at 06:30 due to external interference on the line.

I sounds to me like you have a similar problem, which is causing your disconnects.

Chilly
Community Veteran

Hmm thats not a bad point BUT why would unplugging and then plugging back in the modem/phone line instantly cure it?

I'm talking instant fix here - guaranteed - no matter what time of the morning it is.

Ideas?
Community Veteran

First, Plusnet have no control over syncing with the exchange. That is down to BT and your equipment ONLY, so it is not PlusNet 'dropping' your connection.

ICS while not causing the disconnects, is not a good setup for intensive use. Neither is using a USB modem, especially one that old.

What speed are you syncing at? Because that modem can have problems above 4Mbs.

You need to raise a ticket and get PN to investigate and most likely report a fault with BT.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

To put it bluntly whenever heavy downloading is performed overnight, PN drops the connection at some point. When I come down in the morning, the DSL is still synchronised BUT I am unable to reconnect to PN - I get the remote computer did not respond error - continually. It's like PN have purposefully blocked the DSL connection from reconnecting.

Sounds more like a problem with the modem or PC to me. It could be maintenance work exchange side disconnecting if it only happens once in while, but regularly it's going to be something local that's causing it. If we were blocking it in any way (which we aren't) then you still wouldn't be able to reconnect after a reboot.

I'd suggest trying a different modem/router if you can and see if that makes a difference.
N/A

I have exactly the same problem and I have had this ever since I was upgraded to MAX. I use a Belkin F5d9630 Router with built in modem. Every day at least once a day but usually more often the modem seems to lose connection although the status remains as connected. If I unplug the phone line and re connect it the connection immediately works and I get a steady 6mb when I do a speed test. I have replaced all my filters and I just assumed this was the risk of being upgraded to MAXDSL.
Community Veteran

jfiler, glad to see I am not alone!

dt, how could it be a problem with my PC? - I've already mentioned that I don't even need to reboot it or change any settings to make it reconnect. All I need to do is disconnect the modem from the phone line and then reconnect.

From my POV it seems and feels like your network refuses to serve me after reaching a certain threshold until it thinks I've shutdown/rebooted and taken some time offline. Sounds stupid and paranoid I know, but one bad experience with BT in the past taught me that it does, can and will happen with ISPs that continue to have connection & throughput issues.
Community Veteran

Just unplugging the phone line are reconnecting will cause the modem to re sync and thus clear out any status / fault it was in previously. Even though you don't switch it off, it does go through at least an ADSL reset which if that is where the problem is, would mean it fixes itself.

Have you disabled things like idle disconnect - not sure if this modem's driver has this?

Have you tried a different USB port?

Do the lights on the modem change when you get disconnected, and if so what does the manual say about it.

Can you borrow a router and see if the same thing happens?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

It sounds incredibly paranoid to me and there's certainly nothing like that going on our side. Try connecting with the BT test username best time

u/n bt_test@startup_domain
p/w test

before you cause the resync and see if that connects.
Community Veteran

If you had a slightly dodgy filter on a sky box would it only manifest itself when the box was phoning home?
I wonder what time of day/night sky boxes "phone home" ?
Community Veteran

Not using a sky box m8 so thats not my issue!

dt, will try that advice. Also got some feedback from the modem's diagnostics program which I will post later (or tomorrow). Basically it says Network: Fail but there's probably other stuff you want to see on it (it's in html format so I can upload it to my host for you to check out).

L8r..
Community Veteran

Interestingly, 33% of voters (correct at time of writing) are having this exact same problem.

Thats 1 3rd iof people that have voted. PN are you concerned yet?