cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do telephone extension reels not work with Broadband ?!!!

N/A

Having recently received all the hardware, I am currently experiencing the joys of 1Mb broadband over my trusty old (now retired) 40Kb connection. However I am hitting something which does not make sense (no, not the Mrs !):

I can only successfully connect when the microfilter is plugged directly into the main/primary BT socket in to the house. If I try and plug it in via an extension reel, it comes up with Error 678 or Error 680 messages. :?

(The extension reel plug that goes in to the primary socket has a socket on the back of the plug, but even when I try and plug the microfilter directly in to that, I get the same problem).

I have 2 such extension reels and have tried both with the same result. Phones work fine on them as do 40Kb modems.

Are there different 'standards' of phone extension reels ? (I bought these 5-10 years ago).

Any thoughts/suggestions appreciated ?

Cheers, Giles
12 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

I have mine working fine on an extention. You need to ensure that all the phones are filtered, not just the BB Connection (in fact technically that doesn't need a filter).

Are you saying that you only have the filter plugged into the extention?

Some telephone leads are incompatible with broadband because they do not contain the full set of internal wiring required to carry the high frequency broadband signal. Same with some modem cables will only work with dialup.

But I am running my 2Mb fine off of a 20m extention cable.
Denzil
Grafter

I had a similar problem. The master telephone socket is under the stairs, the PC is upstairs, and I couldn't get the router to work on the end of an extension cable, despite playing with filter location etc. I had to plug the router in with a short cable to the master socket, then run a long network cable upstairs to the PC.

I live out in the sticks and some distance from the exchange, so I can only assume the signal strength is marginal at the socket, and the extra connectors and cable length were enough to lose the connection.
N/A

Thanks to both of you for your replies. From them, it re-affirms what I had considered, either:
i) weak signal strength if I am too greater distance from the exchange or;
ii) an incompatible extension lead (not supporting the high frequency broadband signal)

I will probably purchase a new 'high-spec' (!) extension lead and try it out to see if it makes a difference - watch this space for the results !

Thanks again, G.
N/A

I have mine on a long extension cable and I'm right near the end of the phone line from the exchange. Mine comes in through the front room window down stairs, around the room and out the back window, up the wall into the back bedroom then round there out the door into the front small bedroom where all my PC's are.

Well traveled or what? I have no problem with connection, so it must be down to the type of extension your using. Wink :
craigbrass
Grafter

Well making sure the cable is good quality (not the cheap stuff) will always help. Some of the older cables do not work with broadband I have found.
N/A

Re: Do telephone extension reels not work with Broadband ?!!

Error 678 or Error 680 messages. :?

Error 678 = No Answer
Error 680 = No Dial tone
See www.modemsite.com - troubleshooting-scroll down to Duns errors- for full list of errors and possible solutions

Although your modem does not dial to connect to the internet, it can receive error 678 - No answer. This is usually because there is an invalid number entered for your computer to dial.

As it works OK when connected at the BT socket I can only suggest you try a new extension as the there appears to be loss or mix up of the information being transmitted when you use your exsisting ones

Smiley
LiamM
Grafter

The error means the modem isn't synching with the ADSL line. USB modems generally use Dial Up Networking within WIndows and therefore, Windows needs to simulate dialing even if this doesn't occur. Therefore, whatever number you enter, if the circuit is in sync, it should work fine.
Community Veteran

Why do they use dail up networking? I have a binatone ADSL 500 which works just fine without it.
craigbrass
Grafter

I think it is so users can disconnect from the internet without pysically "pulling the plug" so to speak.
Community Veteran

I can do that with my binatone I go to 192.168.1.2 and hit disconnect.
N/A

Proper extension fitted - now no/intermittent signal

Well, after the usual procrastination when it comes to doing anything akin to DIY, I finally wired in a permanent extension lead to the room with the computer at the weekend.

I did test the connection before attaching sockets to the wall, etc and successfuly connected twice, however since then it never seems to successfully synch, just repeatedly tries "Training" then returns "No signal" !!

Is this symptomatic of weak signal strength ? If so, can you get signal boosters for telephone lines ?

Suggestions much appreciated :?

Thanks,
N/A

Success !

Yes, having re-read the first reply to my posting, I had forgotten about the 'filter on every phone/socket' and having plugged my spare filter in against another phone, I'm now happily connected with 1MB (vs 50KB) :-)

It still seems to drop the connection and lose the signal every now and then so I will probably go get another filter and put that against the last unfiltered phone (and keep my fingers crossed !).

Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions.

Cheers !