cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do errored seconds matter?

Alecto
Grafter

I've been upgraded to MaxDSL and am sycing at 4Mb approx, which is fine considering the BT tester thing when I first got broadband said I couldn't get more than 512k without an engineer visit. (Currently stuck at 2Mb though)

The line doesn't seem to drop ever, but the stats on the router report quite a few errored seconds and CRC errors.
This is rhe report for the 7 hours I've been online this morning:

Downstream Upstream

SNR Margin 5.7 24.0 dB
Line Attenuation 55.9 27.5 dB
Errored Seconds 842 0
Loss of Signal 0 0
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 1420 0
Data Rate 4768 448 kbps
Latency FAST FAST
I can't get any sense out of Google, where all the replies assume I'm a telecomms engineer, so does anybody know if they matter, and if I can do anything about them if they do, pse? I've no idea if they were that bad before MaxDSL or not.
Thanks.
2 REPLIES
Simon_M
Grafter

It's not good, but expected in your circumstances, I would have thought. You know you have a dodgy line & it's trying to run at a high speed at the moment.

I suspect that it will settle at a lower speed in a few days. It will drop the speed until the SNR Margin goes back above 6.0. You should find the errors drop then.

I'm close to the exchange, so I get something more like this:

Downstream Upstream
SNR (Signal-to-Noise-Ratio) margin 14.9 27.0 dB
Line attenuation 11.1 8.5 dB
Errored seconds 189 60
Loss of signal 1 1
Loss of frame 0 0
CRC errors 157 13
Data rate 8128 448 kbps
DSLAM (1 km) TEXAS INSTRUMENTS

The errors represent 10 days of up time since last re-boot. I am assuming the 'Loss of signal' was when the MaxDSL kicked in a couple of days ago, when the line went down for a whole 9 seconds.

My SNR user to be over 30 downstream, so I had plenty to play with. My errors have certainly gone up - I can't remember what they rormally run at, but in the old 512kbps days, it would have taken months of uptime to reach these figures.

edit - given up on attempts to format the table - hope you can make some sense out of it.
Alecto
Grafter

Thank you.
Your figures certainly do look good.