cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a router?

N/A

Do I need a router?

I've been up and running on broadband for a couple of months now and in general I'm very happy with my setup.
My Dynamode usb adsl modem is connected to my main machine is upstairs which runs constantly and in order to connect to broadband via my laptop downstairs I've run a cat5 cable down there and use a proxy server for connection, this works fine for most of the time but I've found a number of problems where sites don't want to connect via a proxy server (my bank for instance!). Also some message boards which I use are now unbelievably slow to refresh and I think this may be part of the same problem.

Would I be better off using a router? would this get around my proxy server problems? If so could anybody suggest a suitable router which is known to work with PlusNet (reasonably priced please).

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks, ....... Phil.
7 REPLIES
N/A

Do I need a router?

What proxy are you using? I'm running a similar setup albeit I'm on dialup at the mo waiting for my ADSL order to be completed. I have no problems with any web pages so far.

Router wise, I'd guess all routers should work fine with Plusnet though don't forget you'll either need a router with a built-in modem or a router and seperate modem. Your current USB modem may be redundant as I'm unsure if you can get routers that will accept a USB modem.

With a router, you'll no longer need to share the Internet connection from your main PC upstairs as basically each PC will use the router as the 'gateway' ie their path out to the www.

PlusNet's tutorials on router setup are extremely good and may be worth a look whilst deciding. Suppose the only disadvantage of stopping the proxy is you'll lose a bit of 'speed' providing your using a caching proxy?

Anyhow, hope this helps,

nry
Community Veteran

Do I need a router?

Yes a router would probably be more reliable.

Any ADSL capable router which supports PPPoA will be fine. Check places like Dabs or EBuyer for cheap routers.

Chris
N/A

Do I need a router?

I'm using WinProxy at the moment but I don't think this is relevant as far as my online banking problems are concerned, I've asked the bank about why my online banking sessions are locking up and they told me categorically that their system will not work via a proxy server. (although I actually found if worked 99% of the time from a WinProxy client machine but always locked up when connected via the proxy server).

Thanks for the reply,

Phil
N/A

Do I need a router?

The technology support, and the customer support on these two matters are totaly different.

Just as with +Net, they can only offer generic support, and nothing specific, unless it is owned by them.

In most cases, what they say they don't support, will actualy work, but they can't tell you how to fix it if things go astray.
N/A

Re: Do I need a router?

Would I be better off using a router? would this get around my proxy server problems? If so could anybody suggest a suitable router which is known to work with PlusNet (reasonably priced please).

Hi there,
I use an Alcatel Speedtouch 570 router for a very similar set up to yours, one main PC and a laptop, and happily access online banking with LloydsTSB and HSBC without a problem.
You will probably need to get a router with a built in modem, as I never managed to find one that would support a USB modem, the avantage of the Alcatel model is that it's wireless, so you can wander round the house, and even out into the garden with the laptop and still surf the net. Not sure what you mean by reasonably priced, but IIRC I paid under £400 for the router, and 2 wireless network cards, I think the wired option is not that disimilar in price!
N/A

Do I need a router?

I use a DSL-504 router (with built-in 4 port hub), i have not had any probs with this in the time i have used it.

With a router you also get the added security when you enable NAT

Regards
Andy
N/A

Do I need a router?

Many thanks to everbody for the replies and suggestions, yes i'm now convinced, a router is the answer and I've just ordered one.
Stand by for a barage of questions on how to set it up when it arrives! :lol:

... Phil.