Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a Wireless Router or a Modem + Router

benskia
Grafter

Hello everybody.

I've just signed up to receive broadband from Plus.net after reading some encouraging posts over on the adslguide.org forums about the service (and it was nicely priced).

Anyway, with the easy start connection that I ordered, I get a USB modem.

However, I've got a few devices I would like to connect up to broadband - 2xlaptops, PC and eventually the x-box.

So, I'm looking at what I need to set up a wireless network.

I've seen this SMC Wireless G 54Mps 802.11g 4 port switch / router on Komplett:
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=119947&cks=PRL

I'm wondering if this is all I need (in conjunction with some PCMCIA & ethernet card on the PC's of course) or do I need to get a box with a modem built in as well.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thankyou.
Ant.
4 REPLIES
N/A

I don't have any real experience of the SMC device, but reading the specifications it looks to be just a Wireless DSL Router - it doesn't include a built-in ADSL Modem.

This means you would need to use it with an Ethernet ADSL Modem (it will not really operate with a USB Modem). Extra cost and complexity.

Better I think to get an "all-in-one" solution that has ADSL Modem, 54G Wireless, 4-port Switch and Router / Firewall all in one box. They are more expensive than the SMC though!

I am using a recently purchased Netgear DG834G, which was really simple and quick to install. It has been working faultlessly for a couple of months now. I have also heard good things about the Linksys WAG54G.

Regards
DMac
N/A

You need one with a modem built in,
otherwise you'll need a seperate ethernet modem.
The only router I know that accepts an input from a
USB modem is Draytek 2200 but it costs £180 and
only works with one or two modems such as Alcatel.
http://www.dsl-warehouse.co.uk/products.asp?pm=877
Alec
N/A

I am getting the SMS Baricade (non-wireless) modem router for my network.

So I think you have all you need to connect several devices to your ADSL.

good luck
N/A

hiya all
being in a similar position as yourself ..i wanted a wireless unit as i work a lot with a laptop but did not want to spend a fortune .
the equipment i got was an ORIGO 8421 /modem router wireless and pcmcia wireless card all for under the £100
works ok for me
Cheesy Cheesy