cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dlink DSL-300G+ and Netgear WGT624

N/A

Hi,

I am trying to get connected with the devices mentioned in the subject line.

I have a single IP address account, which I believe is causing the problem (well not really - its the dlink which has the problem with the account).

When the Dlink connects it tells me the my IP Address is 80.229.10.151 (which is correct) but then it tells me that my gateway is 80.229.10.152, which I do not believe is a valid ip seeing that when I connect with my usb modem my IP and gateway are both the .151 address.
I cannot find a way to program these addresses through the web config and I'm lost when I connect via telnet to it (any command line ref's would be handy).
Thats problem no.1, next is the problem I am experiencing with the netgear, first off it should pick up the IP address from the dlink (even the wrong one!) which it doesnt, secondly if I try and manually set the WAN IP addresses with the details supplied by plus.net (which I know are'nt a problem) it rejects them.
Eg
The IP is 80.229.10.151
subnet 255.255.255.255 (will refuse to accept this saying something about broadcast IP's)
and lastly the gateway 80.229.10.151 (will not accept it because its the same as the IP address).

The dlink is on loan so I'm not fussed if its not useable, but Ive just bought the WGT624 (very nice 108mbps wireless mmmm) and want to use it.

If anyone can make any recommendations on what to do (even hardware suggestions for ethernet adsl modem - was thinking about maybe buying a netgear one to match the router).

Cheers

Paul Adam
3 REPLIES
N/A

The D Link modem and Netgear router appear to have the
same default IP address 192.168.0.1.
After you set up the modem connect the router only and then
change the routers IP address manually.
Have a look at the quick set -up guide on D Link UK website,
here for the 300G
modem and router combi the principal should be the same.
Once you change the IP address of your router, this will be the new
address for its on screen config.
I would also first update the firmware for the modem and then the
router as they are sometimes shipped with very old firmware
and wont connect whatever you do.
Netgear's DM602 would be an obvious choice for a modem
but theres no reason why it should not work with any ethernet
modem including the D Link.
N/A

I've got the d-link dsl-300G with a linksys router, and it's fine for the job.

Firstly, the gateway addy is correct. ie one higher than your IP.

It is really quite easy to set up, but as already stated, I had changed the router address range to 10.0.0.1. Set everything to automatic.

It you are still having problems, take out the router and connect directly to your pc and sort that bit out first. I cloned my pc NIC MAC addy to the router, but I can't remember whether this was really necessary or not.
N/A

I've got the d-link dsl-300G with a linksys router, and it's fine for the job.

Firstly, the gateway addy is correct. ie one higher than your IP.

It is really quite easy to set up, but as already stated, I had changed the router address range to 10.0.0.1. Set everything to automatic.

It you are still having problems, take out the router and connect directly to your pc and sort that bit out first. I cloned my pc NIC MAC addy to the router, but I can't remember whether this was really necessary or not.