cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dlink DI-624 and DSL-300G+ stop working out of the blue

lunarjetman
Grafter

I have been using a Dlink DI-624 wireless router with a Dlink DSL-300G+ modem without any problem for over a year and a half.

This morning they have decided to stop working. After much messing about I have found the following:

1. The modem will quite happily receive ADSL and if I plug it straight through to my laptop everything is fine.
2. If I plug the router into the modem, as soon as the router power is switched on the ADSL light on the modem goes off and the ADSL connection is lost.
3. I have verified that the cable between the modem and the router is fine.
4. I have tried 2 other Dlink DI-624 routers that are known to work and get exactly the same problem.
5. If I watch the modem admin page when the router is switched on the ADSL connection is dropped immediately. On retrying the connection status says "Physical Line Error" -- which can't be true cos the modem works fine if I take the router out of the equation.

Does anyone have any idea where I can go with this? I am completely stumped.

Cheers
Richard
13 REPLIES
N/A

I've got the same problem!!

Hi,

My lines been down for the past day now with exactly the same problem. Funnily enough I've got a DLink DSL604+ router. It's worked fine over a year now without any problems at all. Though I haven't got another ADSL modem to test this with I was presuming it was a fault with the line as "Physical Line Error" suggests.

Did you ever get this resolved?
lunarjetman
Grafter

Unfortunately I never did get this resolved.

D-Link support took me through all the usual stuff (firmware upgrade etc) but nothing they did made any difference. They did eventually issue me with an RMA to return it but by the time they did I'd bought a Linksys WAG54G as a replacement. I've never had "Physical Line Error" reported since so I figured the D-Link hardware had simply given up.

Sorry I can't be more help as I fully appreciate how frustrating it is.
N/A

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm wondering if it's anything to do with MaxDSL upgrades. I received an email yesterday saying the upgrades would be happening 'soon' and in the afternoon everything stopped working. Coincidence?

It is frustrating though, spent 40 minutes trying to get through to Plusnet support this morning only to be told due to "staff retraining" it would be another 40 minutes. So I gave up and raised a support ticket via dialup. Slow going...
N/A

I've got the same Router and exactly the same problem as Culdesac. Have even tried a factory re-set of the router to no avail (Router 'Diagnostic' test fails on 'PPP'). Dial-up works fine ...but oh-so-slow!

I also suspect its to do with MaxDSL. Trying a different Router tonight, but if that fails, where next?
N/A

Still stumped

I've borrowed a ADSL router (a 3com OfficeConnect Wireless 11g Firewall Router - a bit of a mouthful!) and tried connecting with that. Still no luck.

However, the status pages of this router do say I've now got a max upload speed of 4 meg, having previously just 1meg. So, I think I've been upgraded to MaxDSL.

Not much use though when it doesn't work!!

Heres part of the log...

2003.08.01 00:16:37 ATM1 stop PPP
2003.08.01 00:16:37 ADSL Media Down !
2003.08.01 00:16:28 If(ATM1) PPP connection ok !
2003.08.01 00:16:27 ATM1 get IP:81.174.145.145
2003.08.01 00:16:20 ADSL Media Up !
2003.08.01 00:16:09 ADSL Media Down !
2003.08.01 00:16:03 ATM1 start PPP
2003.08.01 00:16:03 Dial On Demand(ATM1)
2003.08.01 00:16:02 If(ATM1) PPP fail : Peer terminate
2003.08.01 00:16:01 Dial On Demand(ATM1)
2003.08.01 00:15:52 ATM1 start PPP
2003.08.01 00:15:52 Dial On Demand(ATM1)
2003.08.01 00:15:52 ADSL Media Up !
2003.08.01 00:15:41 ATM1 stop PPP
2003.08.01 00:15:40 ADSL Media Down !

etc....
N/A

I think its the modem/router combination with MaxDSL - common link appearing in this thread is the 300G+ , I've just had the same issues between a 300G+ and a Netgear WGT624 router. I changed the whole setup for a Linksys combo and no problems after several frustrating days watching my line go up and down like a pair of hoe's knickers and still an open ticket with +Net!
N/A

I too thought this was the problem. I wasn't very confident that my ageing DLink 604+ (1 year old) wouldn't cope with the faster speed. I set up a repeating ping to my static IP yesterday and did get the occasional response, so it does look like it's not completely dead.

So, I nipped down to PC World yesterday and bought a Linksys WAG54GS modem-router. Things do seem a little better, I actually had a connection last night after coming back from a night out around midnight. It lasted 10 minutes!

Hopefully things will settle down in a few days like they have for you. I've had an open ticket with Plusnet support now for 3 days with only one response, which was an internal instruction for somebody else to investigate! Still no response.

Personally, I think Plusnet are reeling from the fact that so many people have suddenly got the extra expense of buying new gear as their not so old equipment has suddenly become obsolete and they don't want to claim responsibility.
N/A

I think maybe you were a bit hasty flashing the cash!

I tried a Zyxel P660H router borrowed from work (mainly because its essentially self-configuring, so less chance of the problem being something I'd done or not done :lol: ). After an hour or so it starts connecting at c8Meg. Switched back to my D-Link and, hey presto, everything's rosey again. So it abviously was linked in to MaxDSL provisioning.

I'd read hereabouts about people suffering disconnection problems, but I hadn't spotted anything about total lack of connection. Anyway, lets hope alls-well from now on.
N/A

Hiya all,

I seem to be having a problem with my BT Voyager 205 router/modem ever since I was upgraded to MAXDsl last week. I use bittorrent frequently and never had a problem before the upgrade. Speeds were fine then and even now I have a stable rate of 6500 after 6 days.

However now when I use Azeurus bittorrent client, it starts fine, then slows, then dies, and during the time its open I cannot use my web browser to browse any pages. I sometimes completely lock up, or have to reboot my router before I can connect to browse again.

If I don't use bittorrent, my normal web browsing and downloading is fine, its only when I open Azeurus my problems start Cry Azeurus has always been good for me in the past. Any ideas ?
N/A

Maybe I have been hasty with a new router but if the DLInk DSL604+ isn't rated as ADSL2 then I'm not convinced there isn't an issue there.

My net connection sprung into life on Sunday morning giving me around 2meg (according to the Plusnet speed checker) so I'm a bit loathed to plug the old router back in. Hopefully this is the end of it!

Hey, also finally got a coherant reply from Plusnet support, 4 days after raising the ticket! Basicially saying the connection has resolved itself. Very poor customer support if it takes this long to look at the problem.
N/A

Spoke too soon. Won't connect on ADSL again. Boo Hoo.
N/A

...but if the DLInk DSL604+ isn't rated as ADSL2 then I'm not convinced there isn't an issue there.

As I understand it at least Cheesy ADSL2 is something quite different to MaxDSL ...and still a comparitively long way off, so not really an issue yet.
N/A

Yes your right I got my wires crossed Shockedops: Still, hopefully got a future proof router - at least for another 6 months.

Net connection is ticking along fine now at 2.7 meg.