cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discrepancy in speedtests

kilmar
Dabbler

I have just tested my BB connection with BT and Plusnet. I am on BB Your Way option 2 with a wired connection ZyXel router to a stand alone PC.

The BT reading were 440 kbps up,6880 kbps down and the Plusnet reading was 1695 kbps down.

Why the difference please?
10 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

If you are using the portal speedtester then it's likely that it's just down to that tester as it wasn't designed for speeds faster than 2Mbps. It's due for replacement shortly with this:

www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk

Give that a go and see what you get.
kilmar
Dabbler

4550 kbps.

Still a fair old difference.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Can you run this test for me please and post back the result URL

www.dslreports.com/tweaks
kilmar
Dabbler

holdtight
Grafter

Speedtests are not an exact science and can be very hit and miss depending on so many factors that it would be hard to list them all here and i would take the BT one as probably the closest you will get, like Dave says the PN test was never designed for speeds over 2mb

Download DRTCP and change your MTU to 1478 see if that helps

An excellent guide and instructions on tweaking your settings can be found here linky

Give this speedtest a try also and see what it comes up with this is my result from a few minutes ago

kilmar
Dabbler

I seem to be getting in pretty deep now!

Linux tunes the MTU with each new connection so I don`t think I`ll go that way.

I am pretty happy with the connection but as I said in the original post the difference in results puzzled me.

The difference is now smaller!

Thanks for your help.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

One other thing, the speeds in the BT speedtest are probably the sync speed rather than the throughput rate. The sync speed will always be higher than the throughput because that will include all of the overheads.

In the BT speedtest look for the IP profile (which is the maximum throughput) and the actual throughput figures.

There's not a lot of tweaking with linux needed, my reckoning is that the big difference in the comparison is because you are comparing the sync rate with a speedtest that will report lower than it should. If you compare the throughput in the BT speedtest with result from speedtest.net or our new tester I think they will be much nearer.
kilmar
Dabbler

Thanks Dave the BT throughput was 5523 kbps which as you say is much closer.
kilmar
Dabbler

IP profile 6000 kbps.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

That sounds about right, a little tweaking might get a bit more on the speedtest.net test but it's probably not worth it.