cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnects overnight- tried all the usual!

N/A

Hi
My broadband connection keeps dropping overnight. When I come back to it in the morning it still appears connected- no error message, status says connected- but my downloads have stopped and I can't access any webpages. I have to disconnect, then reconnect.
I have taken all the usual recommended steps- the power saving is unchecked, as are the idle time settings. Are plusnet disconnecting me? - it only happens when left for a long time, ie the 7 or 8 hours it is left overnight. It is usually downloading via Bitorrent during that time. This is not every night by any means so I can't have broken any download limits.
If it is Plusnet disconnecting me is there a tool I can use to keep the connection alive- I have never been disconnected while surfing, only when I leave it to download
Thanks
7 REPLIES
N/A

I've got the exact same problem as you. It doesn't need to be on for 7/8 hours though. If i'm lucky it can last about 16, but very rarely. Recently it's been every couple of hours or so, sometimes half an hour. I doubt it's spyware/virii, because it's the same story on linux (suse 9.2 pro). I've got the bt voyager 105 modem, sadly. I've heard softmodems can be that way, but it's only recently (past month) it's been like this. Before I could leave my 'always-on' connection on, and it would stay on. I use torrents too, but it happens regardless of having a torrent client running or not. Anybody have any ideas why this might be?

Cheers
N/A

I am getting this playing guildwars :(

yep same kind of problem with mine, although mine does actually disconnect and then connect up again.

Using binatone usb modem

Only started being really bad in the last week and a half

Not sure what is going on
N/A

Lucky you Tongue

I have to disconnect on the pc, disconnect manually (usb out the back of modem's easiest), wait a second, put it back in, let the dialler tell me modem not found etc 20 times, then PPP always fails, then it connects fine the next time. :roll:
Bit of a malarky lol..
N/A

i havnt read ur posts fully. But im having similar problems. My connection usualy drops overnight, started last week and was dropping and finding it hard to get a steady connection going after 1amish. It was fine from tuesday to friday, now its started again but was happening today aswell. Not when downlaoding specificly more liek random cut offs and finding it hard to get back on. doesnt usualy disconect, just no data comeing through or out on any of my pcs so i have to reconect a few times if i ever get back on within the same night.

Done the usual checks and support finally decided to get the engineers to look at it.
N/A

Not really all that qualified to answer technical issues, but I was getting this after upgrading to 2meg. I had a Zoom USB modem and Bt suggested I change to a router. Didn't want to but found an excellent little unit for less than £20 and haven't had a single problem since (3 days). Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Routers seem to work in a far superior way to the USB modems!
N/A

Anyone else having this problem? I've been having this for just over a week now, and its getting fairly annoying!!

Anyone worked out how to fix this? (Rather than buying new kit!)
Geez
Grafter

Try running an Error Check (Hard Disk, Properties, Tools), which was Scan Disk in older versions of Windows, remembering to tick the options and turn off your screensaver.

May help and can't do any harm Wink