cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnections - Where do I go from here ?

N/A

the last two evening my problems with disconnections has been really bad - both evenings started near enough 20:00 and continued non stop UP and DOWN until 23:00

Been going on now for quite a few months - usually for shorter periods between 18/19:00 and 23:00'ish

Ticket raised last night 13577183 showed a test done but in the early hours when it wasn't doing it's thing so I appended to suggest evening test may be better.

Great - a test was done at about 18:50 and no fault found so the ticket was promptly closed but I didn't get email about it until after this evening disconnection period so thought I was doing a good thing by leaving it doing it and not calling help desk as I mistakenly thought it was still being looked at.

I did then ring in to see about the problem and am very disappointed that the response of 'theres no line fault so theres nothing we can do, we've done a test when asked to' does nothing to get to the bottom of the problem and makes the system i'm paying for 100% usable.

Moderators note (John) All capitals title made lower case. Olease dont post in all caps as its akin to shouting on the forums.
25 REPLIES
N/A

Have you checked the wiring diagram in the tutorials? Are you using a modem not a router to connect?

Have you got enough filters on the line? including Sky?

Does your connection drop when the phone is used?

Aaron
N/A

Thanks Aaron

Using Router. The router is powered through a UPS. When it happens have tried the router through UPS and also direct from mains, and also UPS with mains turned off in case that's got a fault. On one occasion also tried 2 extra routers - one fresh from box, but still same thing happening

Nothing else on the line - to try and help the situation a few months ago I had a second bt line put in so that the broadband could be on it's own so the broadband is straight into the filter in the bt line box with no other wiring

Kev
N/A

What model router have you got? some of the netgear router have an ldle time value, and this needs to be set to 0, otherwise you will get disconnections.

Is your connection running thought the UPS to protect the line?

I'm assuming from your reply, your second line has a BT front plate filter?

Aaron
N/A

Hi Aaron,

Even though we may not get anywhere with it thanks for your questions, makes a nice change to be give 'proper' info rather than the standard questions. I'll answer your questions first then go onto give a bit more history 'cos nevere know something may mean something to someone -

Main router is Solwise BIG504 but the other two that have been used are DSL504 and Origio 8000 series

ADSL line is direct and does not pass through UPS

second line is out of the equation - it's in different part of the house and is standard BT linebox.

'Usually' the problem occurs evenings 18/19:00'ish up to 23:00'ish but not usually at set / specific time, however on couple of occasions we've had dayime area-wire power cuts and when the powers been restored the disconnections have started for an hour or so. On the second time of power cut it was only for about 20 minutes and the UPS kept power long enough for router not to lose power but when power restored to pc soI could look the disconnections were going into log. At that time I didn't have a monitor via a UPS so I could monitor the log during this period but now i've bought a heavy duty UPS for my pc that will take the TFT as well so that may give a clue if the power cut situation arises again.

A neighbour other side of road about 200 yards away on PlusNet has similar problems but doesn't seem to be at same times as I do - likewise they have a line that is now for ADSL and a single telephone only as they got a second line in to see if that helped.

Have - used to be 2 or 3 days, but recently a week or more slightly longer when it doesn't happen then all at once one evening it does it then may be ok again for a while.

This week the stanger thing is it was 2 evenings in a row and was at near enough the same times Wed and Thurs evenings 20:05 to 21:55

One difference which may or may not have any bearing is that Wednesday MORNING at 07:50'ish my line was regraded to 1Mb - initially didn't synch (as per current synch situation) but at 11:10'ish it synched and gives a very good reading of 1152000 download speed. I couldn't have 1Mb before 6th Sep due to line limitations. Could the gremlin on the line now be aggravated by the higher speed during some unknown happenings further back down the line which weren't fully a problem previously ?

Thanks again, so good to be able to talk about it without getting agitated. I know it isn't the helpdesk lads fault but it just gets to the head and brick wall feeling sometimes

Kev

Moderators note (John) Accidental double post removed for you.
Community Veteran

It could be that the conversion to 1meg has just tipped the balance now so that you line is on the edge of being useable.

But with the new attitude by BT about trying to make every installation work it may be worth raising a link:Contact us ticket and seeing if Support can get them to sort out and get you a better line connection by changing the faceplate and even rerouting.
You've nothing to lose and everything to gain by trying.

Good luck with it. I can understand the frustration as it used to happen to me in dial up days when the connection would just drop for no reason.
N/A

Many thanks JohnEssex for the additional input, all info and guidance gratefully received.

I'll see what happens at the 'rouge' times this evening - got a ticket open for hopefully a test between 8-11 tonight (assuming it plays up!

I would have hoped that could have been offered last night rather than the 'there's no line fault so nothing we can do, we've done a test when asked"

I was even prepared, rather than do an upgrade on my ADSL line, to pay a brand new activation fee to have 1mb put on my other line to see if that worked ok to at least see if it was something coming from the line but unfortunately if that had worked ok and i'd moved to it fully and 'abandoned' the faulty line i'd have lost my referalls discount as they said it can;t be transferred across. I've worked hard at promoting what really is a pretty good ISP who provide good servicese to get my (nearly) 7 quid a month discount so I don't want to lose that 'cos it makes it more economical for me to have the service.

Other people have problems with various aspects of the ISP but apart from this glitch I can't fault them - the price is good, the responses to queries are good, everyone who i've referred them to finds them good - event he couple lower downt he other side of the road who have the half meg and have similar problems to me at times still thinks they take some beating.

Thanks again,

Kevin
Community Veteran

Getting a new activation on your line would change very little. It would be the same pair of wires between you and the exchange but you may get a new DSLAM card in the exchange but I dont thing that would make any difference.

I still thing the problem is that as you were out of range of 1meg before then your line must be near the limits.
Do you know what your line figures are? I notice that you have tried a D-link 504 on the line. If you re connect that I know that you can get the figures from it as Thats what I use.
Enter the D-Link configuration and go to the summary option on the left then line conditions and it will give you what it thinks the state of your line is.
It would be interesting to see what it comes up with.
N/A

Thanks for that John

I'll have a go with the DSL tomorrow morning and let you know.,

You misunderstood when I said about about a new activation, that would have been a brand new activation on my SECOND line, the one I had put in a few months ago when the troubles started. That then would have been different wires and stuff all the way back

Kev
N/A

There is little I can add that John hasn't already said, see how the next test goes and if you can post your line noise etc details here. All may not be lost, you maybe able to get a faceplace upgrade as previously mentioned by John.

Aaron
N/A

PS:

Here is the info from PlusNet's Woosh thingummy last night

ADSL Status Check
OK
Circuit Information
Circuit In Sync
Upstream ADSL Link Info
Loop Loss 32 dB
Cell Count 4633
Downstream ADSL Link Info
Loop Loss 54 dB
Cell Count 3348
Community Veteran

Ok as far as loss goes they look Ok Smiley
What they don't give though is the SNR figure (Signal To Noise Ratio) which is one of the important things in deciding the quality of the line.
If you can post the results you get from the D-Link then it will give a better indication.
N/A

Thanks John,

I'll check that tomorrow - for info had a single DOWN and UP at 20:04 as shown below but at moment doesn't seem to be continuous

----------- system log buffer head --------------
Sep 17 20:04:45 Killamarsh:turbo_extEvtHandlerProc:none: ADSL line is DOWN!
Sep 17 20:05:07 Killamarsh:turbo_extEvtHandlerProc:none: ADSL line is UP!

----------- system log buffer tail --------------
N/A

Last post of the day - spoke too soon

The disconnections are - down for 15/16 seconds then back up for 5 minutes so that made me think it was a one off tonight, but it's doing 5 min cycle so i'll post my DSL results tomorrow. Spoke with Theon in support and he's appended the ticket.

Many thanks you guys, I shall have a couple of Chardonays on your behalf now with being more relaxed than last night with all your very welcome input.

Kev
N/A

Hi there

Well, last night was similar to previous 2 nights

Disconnections started at approx 20:05 - down for 15/16 seconds then back up for 5 minutes in the first half hour then did a single back up for two and half minutes then went into the up 15 seconds down 15 seconds routine until 22:55 when it cleared ok.

Called Support at 20:15 to advise it was happening as scheduled for test between 8pm and 11pm (hopefully), ticket was amended to show it was playing up but when I looked later when all came back the ticket didn;t have that info on it and then nothing added to ticket until a test done at 08:45'ish this morning - DOH !

The line test made the router do a single re-connection and the statistics from their test this morning match what has been recorded with previous no fault found tests.

Ticket is marked for a test between 8 and 11 tonight so hopefully the problem will persist and somethign will be found.

Have put the DSL504 router in and found the section I think you meant John and here are the current results from that

Protocol ADSL State Showtime
Data Path Fast
Operation Mode G.DMT

Downstream Upstream
Line Status ADSL Link Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
SNR 9.0 dB -
ATEN 56 dB 29 dB
Line Error ADSL layer FEC 0 0
CRC 0 0
ATM layer HEC 0 0
Frame Counter 421 445

I'll obviously be monitoring this evening and will post anything seen / discovered after the event.

I know I said it already but thanks you guys, even if at end of day i've gotta go back to using carrier pigeons at least at the moment I feel tons better just for sake of doing and trying something different with your input rather than the bog standard stuff from pre-prepared scripts.

Kev