cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnection during download of large files

N/A

I've just upgraded from 500k to 1M, using my Binatone ADSL500 USB modem as originally supplied (worked well at 500k for everything).
Normal browsing is fine, but since the upgrade I've started to get disconnection consistently during download of larger files and streaming video. The ADSL connection looks to be OK (lights on modem stay on) but the link to the modem appears to be corrupt. Normal 'redial' doesn't work and I can't restart the connection without a complete power up.
(don't laugh now!) Am I likely to be overstetching my 450M P3 in some way or is there a tweek I can try?
Any help much appreciated (apart from 'buy a new PC!!!)
Thank a lot.
9 REPLIES
N/A

N/A

Are those speed issues really relevant to disconnections caused by large files?
N/A

Disconnections during download of large files

The download speed is fine (Q - is it just too fast for my PC?) it's just that the download stops completely and my connection is completely losts.
Thanks for your assistance.
N/A

I must admit I've had a problem similar before but never knew the cause, I think this is definately something that, unless someone knows the exact problem, will take some trial and error, for example finding out how the absolute upper file limit you can download without this happening and maybe seeing if it happens if you download more than that through several smaller files simultaneously.

First thing I'd try though is get BT to do a line check to make sure all is OK, it could be issues with 1mbit on your line.

Secondly if it is, I'd ask them again because BT have a seriously bad habit of performing sub-standard checks.

Thirdly try changing your MTU settings and so on, I think this site has an optimiser somewhere to change everything.

Finally, if you've still not got any hope, back everything up and try with a clean Windows install. Just unless you really don't mind do this, try everything else first.
Zathras
Grafter

Had exactly the same problem except I was on the 1mb from the start , afraid its more than likely the usb modem, binatone(which I think +net no longer use) is cheap and not very cheerful, has issues with VIA and XP so I switched to a better modem (still USB) and I've not had a problem since.
N/A

This is a problem plusnet know about, I was also on 512 and upgraded to 1mb and have been having problems ever since. My 512 connection was fine until I thought I would take advantage of the cheaper 1mb connection, and like a lot of users am paying for a 1 meg connection and getting no better speeds than my 512. Plusnet have since went live with another 155mb segment on their 622mb pipe, but to be honest, I have not seen any improvement in transfer speeds. How long do we have to put up with the excuses before we see some improvement. It is not good enough!
madswitcher
Grafter

Hi mapplebrook

Have you tried with a non-USB modem?

This could be a manifestation of the ol' USB power problem where some motherboards are sensitive to the current pulled from the USB port, paricularly the VIA chipset.
With your increase in speed, the mean power dissipated in your modem, and hence the current pulled will have increased, and it could be that it is just going over the limit.

Can you try an alternative modem?

Mike
N/A

Problem solved!!
As I suspected.....the problem was in my PC/modem all along. Just when I was about to go out and buy a new router (think I will anyway!) my 15 year old son suggested that my firewall may be to blame....I run ZoneAlarm....so I stopped it prior to download and - success!
So..it looks like my PC can't cope at 1M full rate download with ZA in the way.
Will an Ethernet-connected Firewall/Router/Modem take the load off the PC enough to prevent any more problems? Let me know...and I'll let you know when I have one!
Thanks to everyone who helped out with suggestions...hopefully this little discovery might help out some others too!
..........must use this as an excuse to upgrade....... Cheesy
Community Veteran

What version of ZA are you using, what OS do you use and how much memory do you have?

Try the latest 5.1.033 ZA version if your on an earlier version.

It's possible your PC just can't cope but the USB1.1 port is ratesd at 12Mbs and your ADSL only runs at 1Mbs.

A router + network card for your PC will take some of the load off it (USB does need processing power, whereas a NIC does not) and should not suffer from any speed related issues so this may be a better option in the long run anyway.

Even with a router you should still use a software firewall.

Before doing anything, you could try other free software firewalls and see if they work better. Try outpost or sygate personal firewall. Links to some can be found in General: Essential Security software.

I assume you have a virus scanner and have scanned for spyware/malware using spybot search & destry and adaware? If not I suggest you do a scan with them as mmalware can also effect communications over ADSL.