cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnection Questions

N/A

Disconnection Questions

as I'm new to broadband, I don't know much about it. After a few hours it just stops doing anything online e.g. web pages won't load and instant messaging programs logout and won't log back in.. The only way I found to resolve this problem so far is to restart my computer, then it works perfectly again.

Is there anything else I can do?

Also, is there a set connection time? Yesterday. it disconnected and reconnected after being online for 6 hours.

Thanks in advance,
Danny

Moderators note (John) Topic moved to relevant forum section.
29 REPLIES
pcorker
Grafter

Disconnection Questions

Give the forum users a bit more info and I expect you will get more answers.
Connection type and hardware, OS, when problem started, always or intermittent, does it re-occur after a restart, variable ar precise timing, what manufacturer for mobo chips , error messages etc
Pat.
N/A

Disconnection Questions

I'm using win xp, its not a big problem, its just, it did it again, after 9 hours of being connected it disconnected and reconnected and I don't understand why.

I'm on the Easy Start broadband package and I have the Binatone modem that comes with it.

Any suggestions?
pcorker
Grafter

Disconnection Questions

Are there VIA manufactured chips on the motherboard?
Have you checked the status of the exchange?
Have you analysed your connection?
Addresses for all this (and much more!) are on this website.
Pat.
wombleuk
Dabbler

Disconnection Questions

I and, it seems, a lot of other people are having the same problem and we all get pointed to master socket, line problems etc.
I've installed the latest via drivers and bought a powered hub, but it still does it.
I can't put my machine on the master socket for hours on end to see if it happens there, because it's in an awkward place.
Besides, I don't think that will make any difference.
There are too many people having this problem for us all to have line problems.
Someone in another thread is of the opinion that the modem is to blame and that Plusnet are sitting on the fence until the problem goes away or someone can definitely prove that the modem is at fault.
And what are Plusnet going to do once we've jumped through all these hoops and the modem is the only thing left ?

Graham
madswitcher
Grafter

Disconnection Questions

Can I suggest something a bit wacky?

I suspect you have the 'ol usb modem is draggin too much current' syndrome: after a while the modem gets hot and starts to take too much current for the USB port, which then trips into limiting. This can happen on self powered hubs as well as the VIA chipset

Try cooling it down in some way such as playing a fan onto it and se if that makes any difference. Alternatively, after just powering up, see if you can make it a bit warmer by playing a hairdryer onto it (be a bit careful here) and see if it trips out. Try doing the latter while in the middle of a big download

If this does provoke a change, you have evidence to complain further to plusnet and supplying a devive unfit for purpose

Cheers, mike
Community Veteran

Disconnection Questions

Some mobos can't supply the full 500ma current needed and sometimes it's the PCs PSU that can be at fault. It is not always the modem that is at faut in these situations - which is why it is so difficult to diagnose the real cause for this type of problem.
wombleuk
Dabbler

Disconnection Questions

Surely then, there should have been a minimum requirement checklist that went down to such details. I don't recall seeing anything asking what mobo I had or the capacity of my PSU.
pcorker
Grafter

Disconnection Questions

There are too many people having this problem for us all to have line problems.
Graham

I think that "this problem" is probably a huge number of similar problems with a huge number of possible causes.
Britspy, for instance, can go 9 hours without a disconnect.

The modem, mobo and PS are probably all close to their specified limits so it's difficult to know who to blame for power problems (but Googling for VIA problems does bring up a few over the last 10 years!)

The first step must be to verify the line and a faulty modem is probably the last. Most people play superstitious hunches rather than using systematic fault tracing.

I guess that PlusNet must go by the manufacturer's specs and they say that it all SHOULD work!
Pat.
N/A

Disconnection Questions

Surely then, there should have been a minimum requirement checklist that went down to such details. I don't recall seeing anything asking what mobo I had or the capacity of my PSU.

That is because there are so many variables.
A lot of PC's are bespoke manufacture. That is to say they use parts from many sources and only a few are the same. It would be impossible to try and list every variable.
The same applies to the phone extension wiring in your house, where it is routed (close to possible electronic interference sources) and of course the quality of the cable. I have heard of DIY extensions that have use lighting flex.
So, any comments on "check wiring", "USB hubs" and are all valid and not brush off's
N/A

Disconnection Questions

You are asked to plug your modem into the master socket, because this is a Self-install product.

As such, you have to proove that your own installation is not at fault. This includes wireing, sockets, filters, PC.

In other words, anything past the master socket must be ruled out before this can be classed as a fault.
wombleuk
Dabbler

Disconnection Questions

Well, I guess I'll have to put up with it disconnecting 2 or 3 times a day, because I cannot and will not go to all the hassle and inconvenience of moving my PC to the master socket to then be told that I then have to check/ renew my mobo or power supply or both.
And when I've done all that and it still disconnects, I have to pay £50 for a BT person to come and say everything is OK.
And once that happens, what then ?
Suddenly someone discovers what the real problem is and offers a free/cheap fix after I have spent the value of a new computer proving it's not me.
Nah.
All I need is some software that will check for the presence of a broadband connection and if it's not there, trigger the resetting of the usb modem so that the system discovers it again. Then everything will be fine.
So if anyone can point me in that direction, it will be more constructive than tearing my PC to bits because adsl is so flaky.
pcorker
Grafter

Disconnection Questions

All I need is some software that will check for the presence of a broadband connection and if it's not there, trigger the resetting of the usb modem so that the system discovers it again.

You don't need software for that - you can do it yourself !

Pat.
wombleuk
Dabbler

Disconnection Questions

Yeh, I know I can unplug the modem and plug it back in, but I have to know that the connection is lost and it's a bit of a drag.
At least with software it would reconnect automatically and any download would resume without me having to check every 5 minutes to see if the connections dropped.
pcorker
Grafter

Disconnection Questions

OK - point taken!
But I don't think that a software work-around is the answer - or possible.
You are probably going to have to provide the info requested of britspy (wonder how he is getting on?) earlier in this thread
Maybe you already tried these ramblings wot I rote earlier ?
Pat