cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnecting ? Line too fast?

Community Veteran

As said before, you should not really have been put on 2Mb in the first place so loss of sync is more likely with your setup than someone who's line attenuation is within the 43dB limit..

Using a better quality ADSL filter can sometimes improve sync loss problems. I recommend and always use Excelsus Z-420UK-A Dynamic ADSL Microfilter or XF-1e Professional ADSL Microfilter.
15 REPLIES
N/A

I have a 2mb connection and have experienced random disconnects frequently.I notice this happens more in the evening and hardly ever during the day. Its driving me insane.
I have tried all the obvious things and Bt have been contacted and said there was a problem with the line and it was fixed.
So i thought should i just change from plus net to uk online.
Now here's a thing.When i checked to see what service I could have with them I could only receive 512k connection although they offer up to 8mb connections.
Now i got to thinking that maybe my line is being pushed to more than it can handle and i should be on a slower speed.
I was just wondering if anyone else thinks that this could be the case.
Community Veteran

What ADSL hardware do you use and does it show line stats? If so post them here.

The fact that you were upgraded to 2Mb suggests your line could support at least that from BT's point of view, and definately 1Mb so I don't understand why UKonline would only offer 512K as their line limits tend to be more relaxed than BT.
N/A

I use the netgear dg834g.with wireless usb.
the connection between the wireless usb and the modem is always strong but on checking the modem when it disconnects the lights go orange and after 30 seconds or so it starts up again.
Not sure if i have the net stats.

I have been using the 2mb Line for a few months now.But have always had disconnects in the evening. It can happen during the day but it isnt often.
could it just be the traffic at peak times?
Community Veteran

You need to upgrade to firmware version 1.05.00 and you can then see line stats under the router status page.

You may actually like to try the latest Beta firmware 2.10.09 which I have been using for over a month with no problems at all. Connection is much more stable and I've not had a reboot for over 1200 hours, previously it was every 2 or 3 days.

See DG834G NEW Firmware but make sure you read my posts about getting the recovery utility before flashing.
N/A

Just contacted UK Online and they said that the line only supports 512k.
This is really weird.
How come I have a 2mb line and can download at around 220k.Yet they are saying my line cant support this.
I could downgrade my account to so that i dont get disconnected but this would probably be a right pain in the ar*e because i am sure within a few weeks plus net would send an email saying "Congratulations you have been upgraded to a 2mb Line "and I would be right back to where i started.

Saying that right enough BT are upgrading various exchanges throughout the country and mines could be one of them.
But I'm sure you can understand the why I'm at my wits end.
Community Veteran

Posting your line stats will confirm the state of your line and what it will support. It may even explain why you are getting frequent disconnects.
N/A

my stats

System Up Time 00:07:28
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 8297 13830 0 981 52782 00:06:11
LAN 100M/Full 308 0 0 90 0 00:07:26
WLAN 11M/54M 13569 8544 0 45531 1169 00:07:18

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2272 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 52 db 29.5 db
Noise Margin 10 db 27 db
N/A

Line attenuation of 52db is too high for a 2meg line, this should be a maximum of 45db. Also your SNR value of 10db is not particularly good either unfortunately.

You should be ok if it was changed to a 1 meg line tho, as this has a limit of 60db.

Andy.
N/A

can the db be lowered at all?
N/A

The only way to lower the db so to speak is if there is a problem with the internal wiring in your house. One way to find out for sure is to plug your ADSL modem directly into the master BT socket that comes into your home. If its already plugged into this socket and not say an extention socket in a bedroom a long wiring run away from the master socket, then theres not much you can do about it really as the problem is in the wiring outside your home.

There are many reasons for a high db figure, things like the age of the wiring involved, wet joints in cables that run under ground and lots of others factors that are mentioned in detail on some other threads in these forums. But the most important factor is how far away (and hence how long the length of wire is) from the telephone exchange you are. The longer the line the higher the db number will be.

Andy.
N/A

Thanks for that Andy.
Such as life.
It just surprises me why i was upgraded to 2mb if my line doesnt fully support it.Surely BT would have know this with the distance i am from the exchange.
I will probably wait a while before i downgrade though as i don't want to f*ck about and then get upgraded again.
what a carry on
Community Veteran

Have you tried the Beta firmware to see if that get's you a more stable line?
N/A

When your line was put on 2meg it was probably ok at the time (i.e. a lower db) but since then maybe the weather or some other factor has made things slightly worse.

Do try upgrading your firmware it may help. Make sure you follow any instructions carefully tho or you could end up with a dead modem.

Andy.
N/A

ok thanks for all this help.
i will try and upgrade to the beta firm ware but i am just a little worried about messing with my modem as it was pretty expensive.
Is it easy to correct if all goes tits up?

thanks in advance

wayne