cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnected again

oliverb
Grafter

Disconnected again

Arrived at work to find the connection was down. Checked the router log and IP address was changed to 0.0.0.0 at 6:07 am. On a Billion router that appears to mean the PPP session was dropped at that time though it's never clear which end dropped it.

It won't restart. I consider rebooting and think better of it, check ADSL ststus, ADSL has been up the whole time so I click "apply" to force a resync. This fixes it. What's going on, does the link get "stale" somehow?

On the bright side I now have a 4M sync and 2.8M speed test.
7 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Disconnected again

Hi,

If the ADSL link has been up the whole time then it appears that the authentication is dropping out, this is commonly caused by the router. As it reconnects after you reapply the settings seems to back up this assumption.

Are you able to test with an alternate router to see if this is the problem, or alternatively does your current router have an option within the settings to reconnect automatically?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
oliverb
Grafter

Disconnected again

Not exactly. What I did was re-apply the ADSL settings (modulation etc), on a Billion router this forces it to retrain. The authentication settings weren't touched.

I take your point though about the router but right now the only alternative I have is a SAR110 which doesn't support VPN.

Anyway the SAR110 used to get kicked off quite often. (EDIT: but that's going back about three years so it's probably irrelevant)
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Disconnected again

If the same thing is happening on both pieces of equipment then I'd advise raising this to our faults team. This can be done at http://faults.plus.net
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
oliverb
Grafter

Disconnected again

Thanks for the interest, I'd raise it if I could get a clear picture of what's going wrong or when but I can't.

If I switched routers now I'd expect to have to leave it on for a week at least before anything happened. That would be a big inconvenience for me as I use an IPsec VPN a lot. ( EDIT: and the spare router doesn't support a VPN endpoint, the only other alternative is swapping work and home and since they are very similar models I doubt it would prove anything).

I do keep the router firmware up to date. It's a Billion 7402G running version 5.07 which is the latest globalty released version though as usual there's two newer versions released for Australia only.

Really I'm hoping to see if anyone else has seen anything similar. There seems to be an odd authentication gremlin which looks as if it could just as easily be the router, the pipe, the gateway or Radius.

The next time it happens I'll probably try unplugging the phone line to force a resync.
N/A

Disconnected again

Over the past 5 days I have needed to reset my router in the region of 10 times due to the connection dropping randomly.

It's very easy to suggest it's my router but I have had no prior problems. Often, the ADSL light is still on, but there is no activity and the computer returns page not available.

The fact that there are others having similar problems would also suggest that this is wider than my router alone.

It can be incredibly frustrating having to continually go downstairs to the router to reset. Especially when you can suffer the same problem again almost immediately.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Disconnected again

Are you able to get to the router's configuration page? There could be a number of reasons for this type of problem, but I'm just wondering if you have to and reboot the router rather than log into the configuration page to reboot it that the problem is more likely to be with the router as you should still be able to access it if there was a problem our side or with the line.
oliverb
Grafter

Disconnected again

Over the past 5 days I have needed to reset my router in the region of 10 times due to the connection dropping randomly.

What make of router are you using?

FWIW Mine's a Billion 7402G.