cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct connection to Xbox live via Binatone 500?

N/A

Hi all,

Just got connected with Plusnet; I'm very satisfied with the level of service so far. Anyway, I was rather hoping to give Xbox live a go. I understand from the helpful plusnet guide that you can conect the X-box directly through a modem (bypassing the PC, once you've configured the modem, of course). However, here's the problem: The binatone 500 has only one line in socket, so If I connect the Xbox to this via the RJ45 lead, as instructed, there is no socket to connect the modem to the phone socket! :-) Is there a 3 way RJ45 lead that will overcome this, or am I going to need a router. I rather hope its not the latter as I signed up for the Easy start package! :-)

Any advice would be much appreciated.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You cannot connect 2 PCs or PC & Xbox directly to the USB ADSL modem. You can't use that modem directly with the Xbox either because it uses a USB connection and software in the PC and the Xbox just needs an Ethernet connection. You also cannot connect an RJ45 Ethernet cable to the box bacuse that port is for the telephone line only.

There are 2 ways to connect your equipment.

One involves buying a network card which you fit in your PC (if it does not already have an Ethernet connection), connecting the xbox to your PC with an Ethernet xover cable and using ICS (internet connection sharing) on the PC to allow access to the modem from the Xbox. Your PC needs to be on when you want to use the Xbox on the Internet.

The second involves purchasing an ADSL modem router which has 4 ethernet ports or one that has a USB and Ethernet connection (origo ASR 8000 in such a device). This replaces your existing USB modem. I would recommend using Ethernet for both PC and Xbox because it is much more reliable and les prone to problems, so buy one of the 4 port routers like Netgear DG834 and a net card for your PC if it does not have one. This is the only way to allow Xbox access to the internet with your PC off.

There are loads of Xbox threads here explaining how to connect your Xbox so just search for xbox.
N/A

Thank-you Peter. Your advice is much appreciated. I'll upgrade to a router and have a go at X box live at some point int the future. For now, I'll stick with my starter package and surfing the net.
N/A

I have xbox live with the network card in the back of my pc . Its good xbox live