cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial up or ASDL?

N/A

Dial up or ASDL?

Right you clever lot out there, I have a question.
I curently use a dial up which when I was with NTL used to take about 5 seconds between my mouse clicking on a link and something actually happening. This +net stuff, you frequently can walk the dog, make a cup of tea before it all stirs into action - OK it just seems like that, but 30 seconds is not uncommon!.
I don't need speed as I have better things to do than play games or watch video, so do the same 'startup' delays happen with broadband?
A friend of mine has it (via NTL) and he thinks it's magic.
Is it, or just arrives faster once it gets going?

Norman
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 166
Registered: 23-06-2007

RE: Dial up or ASDL?

> Right you clever lot out there, I have a question.
> I curently use a dial up which when I was with NTL used to take about 5 seconds between my mouse clicking on a link and something actually happening. This +net stuff, you frequently can walk the dog, make a cup of tea before it all stirs into action - OK it just seems like that, but 30 seconds is not uncommon!.
> I don't need speed as I have better things to do than play games or watch video, so do the same 'startup' delays happen with broadband?
> A friend of mine has it (via NTL) and he thinks it's magic.
> Is it, or just arrives faster once it gets going?
>
> Norman

Well......
[i]It's the PlusNet Way[/i]
N/A

RE: Dial up or ASDL?

Dont know about where you live, but you say that you can walk yer dog whilst waiting to connect.....

well where i am there is enough time for your dog to grow from a 6 week old puppy to a fully grown dog, meet another dog, breed and then die before we get any sense out of this so called adsl thingy

sorry for putting you off dude but having experienced this sh#tty service i would prefer to have a 14.4kbs modem and 2 cans with a long piece of string attached to both of them, then maybe, just maybe i could use the dam internet


> > Right you clever lot out there, I have a question.
> > I curently use a dial up which when I was with NTL used to take about 5 seconds between my mouse clicking on a link and something actually happening. This +net stuff, you frequently can walk the dog, make a cup of tea before it all stirs into action - OK it just seems like that, but 30 seconds is not uncommon!.
> > I don't need speed as I have better things to do than play games or watch video, so do the same 'startup' delays happen with broadband?
> > A friend of mine has it (via NTL) and he thinks it's magic.
> > Is it, or just arrives faster once it gets going?
> >
> > Norman
>
> Well......

Community Veteran
Posts: 166
Registered: 23-06-2007

RE: Dial up or ASDL?

> sorry for putting you off dude but having experienced this sh#tty service i would prefer to have a 14.4kbs modem and 2 cans with a long piece of string attached to both of them, then maybe, just maybe i could use the dam internet

I wouldn't get too hopeful - Plusnet's record with string isn't too good. There have been times that connectivity has been shagged over a weekend because the string shop has been closed.
[i]It's the PlusNet Way[/i]
N/A

RE: Dial up or ASDL?

Good question.
My experience of ADSL is only limited to 1 month and it would appear to have been the worse month on record.
Well at the moment my ADSL connection for anything other than downloads is very poor, however I do play a lot of games so I guess I judge my connection differently to you.
My receommendation would be to check back here after Friday and see what folks are saying. If +Net fix the problems as they promise then ADSL may be the answer for you, however if the problems are still here then you may prefer to go direct to BT as my friends who are with BT or cable modem do not have any problems at all.

--
Regards,
Dave
N/A

RE: Dial up or ASDL?

Well I ordered ADSL last Friday (it's Thurs today), so with any luck I should be up and running with ADSL over the next week... I read that the "Service Status" admits of recent problems, so I really hope that's the case. One large reason for me going broadband is because I currently use a separate phone line just for the net, pay for calls, and pay for domain hosting. With this ADSL thingie I'll be saving money since I can switch from Cheapnet to here, ditch the other phone line, and hopefully get quicker access...(if I do it's a bonus)
N/A

RE: Dial up or ASDL?

I'm not sure how to put this.
For some reason, my dial up has now stopped the long pregnant pauses and chugges along just like it used to on NTL.
Now, support said it wouldn't make any difference to the dial up fraturnity, so it must be my imagination.
On the other hand, you lot have stopped clogging up the pipe with your gaming!

Thanks anyway (until tomorrow that is!)

Norman
N/A

RE: Dial up or ASDL?

> > Right you clever lot out there, I have a question.
> > I curently use a dial up which when I was with NTL used to take about 5 seconds between my mouse clicking on a link and something actually happening. This +net stuff, you frequently can walk the dog, make a cup of tea before it all stirs into action - OK it just seems like that, but 30 seconds is not uncommon!.
> > I don't need speed as I have better things to do than play games or watch video, so do the same 'startup' delays happen with broadband?
> > A friend of mine has it (via NTL) and he thinks it's magic.
> > Is it, or just arrives faster once it gets going?
> >
> > Norman
>
> Well......

I have had it some seven months and have 1 or 2 minor blipps, but these where BT's fault (tosser'S)
I set a router up for one my customer's and had some real hassle because BT kept switching on NAT-ING,then switching it off, but you had no control over the software (all done remotely by BT) so out came the bag of ***** BT router and in went in a D link, since then hardly any problems.
So if you can afford the cost get and the support at Plusnet is Very Good when BT are not pissing up there back.