cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial Up and ADSL

Community Veteran

Dial Up and ADSL

Bast bet would be for you to set up a pay as you go account for use on the road. Tihis will avoid IP address clashes if you dial up and someone is also logged on via your DSL.
You could still collect your mail using the Webmail option on the portal.
The cost is the charge for the phone calls to the 0845 number and will be at local call rate.
Hope this helps.
8 REPLIES
N/A

Dial Up and ADSL

I am going to be using my laptop on the road a lot and this will mean that I am going to need to dial up to the net from multyiple phone numbers.

I already have an ADSL account with plus and was hoping to use the roaming dial up number, but as i run a small network at home with other people using the internet even if i am away I will want them to be able to acess it, sometimes at the same time as me being on the internet at a different location.

Is this all possible, I would like to be able then to pick my plus.net email up from this location and then browse the net. How much does this all cost, how much is the rate to dial in?

Any help is appreciated.

Liam
N/A

Dial Up and ADSL

You can use PlusNets local rate/PAYG access number for this, which is charges at local rate, or depending on the network you dial from, 0845 rates.

You are advised to open a new free PAYG account.

When dialing using the same username and password for your ADSL account, you are assigned your static IP that you use on your DSL connection. This can cause traffic to stop on your DSL connection, dialup or both.
N/A

Dial Up and ADSL

so I won't be able to download my mail to my mail program?

Is that right.

And to sign up for a dial up account is free yes?

Liam
Community Veteran

Dial Up and ADSL

If you set your email client to call your normal username and password it should have no problems collecting your mail as you will be logged on via PlusNet.

Yes the Pay as you go account is a free account and you only pay for the call charges.
N/A

Dial Up and ADSL

thats wicked. Thank you all very much

/me wanders off to sign up for the free PAYG Account. Cheesy

Liam
N/A

Dial Up and ADSL

one last thing,

what is the difference between the home and business dial up accounts. Apart from the amount of web space?

Liam
N/A

Dial Up and ADSL

Sorry. You can collect your e-mail from any ISP in the world (provided the ISP in question doesn't have any restrictions).

However, you can only send through the PlusNet mail server if you are connected via a PlusNet address. So PAYG is enough.

You can however send and receive using the PlusNet webmail from anywhere.

Yes, a PAYG account is free.
glyndev
Grafter

Dial Up and ADSL

so I won't be able to download my mail to my mail program?

Is that right.

No that is incorrect.

If you are accessing plusnet via a plusnet ADSL or Dialup then you can access your email using your normal mail client.

I.E. if you have a FREE dialup account called 'fred'. Then connect using that account while away from home. You will be logged onto +net as 'fred' but will still be able to access your normal mailbox at 'bresnahan' through that dialup connection.