cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dial-Up Network Connection Deletes Itself?

N/A

Hello!

I have just got PlusNet BB and have been supplied with a BT Voyager 105 USB Modem however I am having problems. Sad

The modem install went fine and everything looked ok, however after about 3 or 4 minutes of browsing suddenly IE stopped browsing, it just kept coming up with the 'could not connect' page that you usually get if you are not connected to the Internet. The modem icon in the sys tray still shows that the line is connected and the DSL light on the modem is lit as is the power?

I then look in the Dial-Up Connections section of windows and my Voyager connection has disappeared, I have tried creating new ones but they disappear the next time this problem occurs.

I have tried uninstalling the modem and re-installing, also I have downloaded the latest drivers from the BT website but the same thing happens.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this happensHuh

The only short term fix is to re-install the drivers but this only gives me less than 5 minutes browsing before I have to do it again!!!

Please help.

Thanks.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Lost the DUN,Ivan

Hello luxted,

Just read your posting here, thats a very strange thing to be happening!! I've Not come across that one before. I connected to Force9 using a USB ADSL Modem (D-LInk DSL 200). Before doing anything else with modem software or settings please run any anti virus software you might have installed on your machine and also run any anti spyware programs you might have too.

**If you dont have any anti spyware /adware programs you can download a free copy of Ad_Aware SE (free for Personal Use) from the link below:-

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

**Also if you dont have any anti virus software installed already you could download AntiVir which a free program, again from the following link:-

http://www.free-av.com/

**Also if you have a personal firewall installed on your machine ensure you have given your BT Voyager 105 USB Modem software permission to access the internet both inbound & outbound. If permissions havent been given the connection would be blocked.

The DUN disappearing is very weird and sounds quite suspicious so this is why I have suggested you check for 1) Viruses 2) Spyware & Malware 3) Adware. Let me know how that goes!

Ivan

-----------------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
Force9 Broadband Premier 2MB Customer
N/A

Ivan,

Thanks for the reply.

I can confirm that I have run a full virus scan (with latest virus definitions) and also a full scan using Adaware so in that respect everything is clean.

I did have a firewall installed (Sygate) but I disabled it to test this out and have also uninstalled it just incase the two were clashing but it is still not working?

Would be grateful for any more ideas?

Thanks forthe help.
holdtight
Grafter

I would agree with Ivan this sounds suspicious rather than system related, i would download and run Spybot search and destroy as well as it can often pick up things that Adaware miss and vice versa
before you run it make sure you pick up the latest updates

I would also re-enable sygate as this wont be the root of your problem and you dont want to be browsing without a firewall in place
N/A

Trojens & Anti Trojen,Ivan

Hi Luxted,

OK!! so it sounds like you have now covered most of the usual ground we would have recommeded but there still remains one possibility left, which is your machine could possibly be infected with a Trojen Horse infection. This wont show up in a normal or conventional Anti Virus program like Norton AV or the freeware AntiVir and Ad_Aware SE nor SpyBot Search & Destroy wont catch it either.

My Final take on this is as follows, inorder to detect a Trojen Horse infection you will need to use a special tool designed for this specific task. One of the best programs of this type I've come across & tested myself is a program called Anti Trojen (its shareware), its highly rated & has been reviewed numerous times. See the URL below:- for downloading a trail copy which is what I suggest

http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter/

**I strongly suggest that you download the free trial copy, install the program and then run it on your machine and see if it finds any thing suspicious!!

Please DO Let us know how you get on with this and your results. Dont forget all other scanner programs can & often do miss trojen horses they can be very clever in hiding themselves in your system without you knowing about them.

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

Hi,

What you are seeing can also be caused by a known issue with some windows services and registry settings. It is not an uncommon occcurrance.

For more info see here

Note that if you follow the advice on that page from Microsoft you may have to edit registry settings. Do this with extreme care and at your own risk.
N/A

Miscrosoft Gobbled Gook!! solution instructions

Hi,

Yes! you might be correct about this as a know MS issue but too be honest the instructions given are pretty hard to follow and complex & not a little confusing even for an experienced user like myself. Yes! I can edit the registry with confidence. But these instructions are NOT easy to follow, I guess all one can say is that its just typical MS speak.

Take great care if you work inside the registry, follow any instrctions to the absolute letter, make sure if your adding or writing values into the registry 1) its done in the correct / precise location given 2) make sure the syntax or numbers or alphanumerics are written precisely any mistakes could mean the fix might not work.

**If your NOT Feeling confident at editing the registry then leave well alone and let somebody who can do this for you tackle it. It does need someone who has a good depth of technical knowledge about windows and XP. No! Disrespect intented just dont want to too have further problems that's all.

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User