Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diabolical Speed This Morning

michaelscott
Grafter

Your current speed is:

757.80kbps

Which means you can download at 94.72 KB/sec. from our servers.

That's from a "2mb" connection.

Before this morning, I had been getting a steady 241KB/sec from all my downloads and similar results from speed checkers.

I'm going to try the BT speed test...
5 REPLIES
michaelscott
Grafter

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester2.nat.bt.com for user 01********* and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

1106 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Still not brilliant.

What's happening? Do I have a case of "contentionitis"? Sad
michaelscott
Grafter

...back up to speed.

29-08-2005 11:05:15 1884.8
29-08-2005 11:04:53 1884.1
29-08-2005 11:04:34 1769.8
29-08-2005 11:04:15 1489.2
29-08-2005 11:03:50 1357.4
29-08-2005 10:52:49 757.8
21-08-2005 14:18:43 1894.7
N/A

Slow

Hi, I wish someone one hold there hands up and say what the problem is. If the new kit does not work then say so, also say what is being done about it.

My speed has gone down to 15 Kbps over the past 4 days and all I have been told is speak to BT and have a line test, BT say all is OK. I was also told to try another ADSL modem :shock: unfortuntately all my spare ADSL modems are out on loan to everone else who is having a problem.

JUST TELL US WHERE THE PROBLEM IS!! Evil Then I can switch off my PC and forget it for a while, instead of running edless tests at my end and running trace rout to try and get some answers.
N/A

Well I looked into the same problems a month ago, its generally your local exchange, I suggest you take a look.

Mines under amber alert atm, they vastly under estimated sign up when it went live and already is on the list for an upgrade, during peak hours my download rate can drop to 600 and off peak its as high as 1.7mb.
N/A

Hmmm, I've had speeds down as far as 81Kbps - quicker to run to wherever the webserver that I'm trying to reach is stored and print the pages I want locally! At one stage today, I waited fifteen minutes for a speedtest to complete before I got fed up and stopped it - yet at 1:00am yesterday morning, I was getting 1900+ Kbps, a perfectly respectable figure.

I'm pretty sure that this is not my internal cabling that's at fault - is it likely that something that's worked for three+ years without a hiccup would suddenly start demonstrating this kind of speed fluctuation?

And if so, which piece of kit would you suspect? Modem, wireless access point, filter, access point to phone cable, PC, wireless card?

I checked my exchange info, which is showing all green lights. I understand from a CS support agent that BT are not to be entirely trusted in these reports however, in which case why put 'em online at all?

This slowdown started last Wednesday and has now, finally, been escalated to BT for further investigation - does anyone have an idea of the likely timescale to receive a reply on the line condition via PlusNet?

Thanks, and good luck to all with similar issues ...