cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desperately trying to setup my internet connection

N/A

Its been a couple of weeks and I still havent managed to get my internet working. I ve been busy with work but when I get home everyday I try and figure it out...no luck. And to make it even "better", yesterday I finally called the customer support line and the staff member was quite rude.I know this is my fault, I am the one who is forgetting to do something but I am not paying £30/month to be treated like I should be ashamed for being computer ignorant. Until then, through the tickets system, everyone has been great and efficient so I ll just forget it. Nonetheless, my problem continues.
I started with a "frog" modem that I friend gave me. It wasnt working properly and I was told it could be faulty. I then decided to buy a new modem, a Pro-Nets ADSL Router ART514CX. If it is good or not, I have to be honest, I dont really know. I followed all the instructions and got the ADSL and USB lights to work no problem. The DATA light though, never turned on. I set up my dial-up connection (the number we put there is not important, right?) but I get error 680 (if I am not mistaken),saying there is no line signal. I know it is my mistake but what?where? Is there any website with a step by step guide of how to install my ADSL?
People always mention the microfilters. I rent a room and have no phone. I have tried it with the cable directly in the socket and with a microfilter. No difference. I dont know if other people in my house (there is 5 rooms) are using faxes or telephones and I honestly hope that makes no difference as I was never told it did when I mentioned it when signed to PlusNet.
I have never been so frustrated. Until now I even used to think I knew something about computers. And the money, oh the money I spent...
9 REPLIES
N/A

lo,if you are the sole user of that phone line then no you wont need a filter as long as nothing else is connected to it.i assume you have set the router up with your +net user name and password? are you using win xp? if so run the network setup wizard and choose to connect thru a home gateway you will also need to set lan settings to auto detect.also are you using a straight or a crossover cable to connect to the router? only a straight thru patch cable will work correctly.
N/A

if so run the network setup wizard and choose to connect thru a home gateway you will also need to set lan settings to auto detect..

Home Gateway? When am I given that option?
Lan settings...yes, I ll have to check that.

also are you using a straight or a crossover cable to connect to the router? only a straight thru patch cable will work correctly

Errr...ok.What is the difference? "Visually" speaking...

Thanks.Really.
Community Veteran

I take it you are using a USB connected router (is this really a router or just a USB modem?). In which case you can ignore the comments about home gateway and the straight/x-over cables as they apply to a router that is connected via an Ethernet cable not a USB cable.

It could be the USB port that is the problem here as USB modems don't work in all situations due to power issues - the USB port cannot supply enough power to the modem - this is particularly true with VIA and SiS chipsets on the motherboard. Have you tried a different USB port. Is you have USB 1.1 & USB 2.0 ports try a USB 2.0 port as they have better power management.

First you should really be connecting your modem through an ADSL filter/splitter to your phone socket. This then allows you to connecft a normal phone (which you can use at the same time).

As I have no knowledge of either of your ADSL modems I can't really help with the installation/setup. But what I do sugegst is you remove all the drivers you have installed so far (for both modems) via add/remove programs and try to start afresh.

For your new modem read through the install instructions very carefully and know at what point you need to plug the device in. Not following the instuctions in order can lead to the drivers not being installed properly. Once the drivers are installed you then follow the instructions, step by step, for configuring the login (which is yourusername@plusdsl.net)/password and any other settings.

If it is a USB problem then it's possible neither of your modems will work with your PC and your only option is to purchase an Ethernet based external modem/router and if your PC does not have an Ethernet port already, a PCI Ethernet card as well. You may be able to send back your new modem as being faulty and get your money back.
N/A

Thank you for the reply, you are always very helpful.

I do have USB 2.0 ports and the USB light on my modem is on but..is there any way I can confirm this is indeed the problem?

I will definitely uninstall everything and try again tonight but I know there is something I am missing...
Community Veteran

I have just checked the details for your new router and have a Q?

Does it have a USB connection to your PC and is that what you are trying to use to connect it to your PC?

Does your PC have a Ethernet port on it? If not I suggest you get a PCI Ethernet card.

As I said above, USB can be problematic so you should be trying to connect the router to your PC via an Ethernet cablem not USB (i.e. plugging ito one of the 4 Ethernet ports on the front of the router). This is buy far the best way to connect a router to your PC.

If your PC already has an Ethernet port then Windows should have configured it automatically. You just need to use it instead of maybe the modem connection you were using to communicate with the router to set it up - don't know if it uses a web interface to do this. If not, your on your own and need to read the manual for info on how to set it up.

Most of the well known ADSL routers use a web interface to configure it which is much easier.
N/A

Yes, I do believe my laptop has a Ethernet port on it. (yes, the fact that I am not sure about it says a lot about this mess...), I will try it as I didnt event think about it, just connected it to the USB port.

The modem (why do they call it router then?) does have a web interface so that I can configure it but that is another problem. The only change I did was the DNS servers...
Community Veteran

It is a router because it has 4 Ethernet ports. I only assumed it was a modem because I did not know what it was when I first posted and you gave no real clues to it's capabilities.

Make sure you remove all USB drivers for both devices you have tried to install then use the Ethernet port.
N/A

Will do and report back.
Is it difficult to connect using the Ethernet port?My router instructions should be enough,right?
Many Thanks.
N/A

Maybe you can call me and I can talk you through it?

If your still stuck over the weekend. Why not give me a call and I'll do my best to talk you through it? e-mail me on jpreece@firstwave.co.uk
cheers

James

also take a look at the useful forums at www.xylene.com (please dont slate me!)