cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desperately seeking...Simple question, simple answer please?

N/A

I am currently on PlusNet Broadband Home Premier 2Mb - Original,
I pay £39.99 per month.

What does this capping/fair-usage/limited actually mean for me? I don't get it.

Some posts seem to be saying that I will get 50GB per month OK between 0800-0100 and then be downgraded to 128K. If this is so, will the 128K be contented at 50:1 too?

I don't abuse the system, I pay for the additional speeds, and sometimes (once) downloaded 75GB in a month.

Can anyone explain please?

Yours cluelessly

JM
12 REPLIES
N/A

If i remember rightly your account and mine as im on the same one, will actually have 75gig available per month at peak time and 200 gig available between 1am and 8am which is classed as off peak.

So you have nothing to worry about, Chill!

Andy.
N/A

Download Accelerator

Sorted....
DAP version, use the scheduling function.
I'll start trying it now.

I still think it's a bit of a urine take though. I am lucky if I get 200Kb/s downloads, I pay for 2MB, and now they say I can only download X amount.

At that rate, I'd be lucky to get the 75GB in a month anyway!

Right, where's that list of other ISPs again.....? Wink
N/A

Hi James,

Which parts are you not clear about and I'll try to explain in more detail.

Cheers,

Aaron
N/A

foggy...

What my limit will be? Peak and Off Peak, what if I breach the off peak limit and not the peak?

How this doesn't constitute a change in terms,

And what will I be capped to if I am naught once in a while...

Cheers

JM
N/A

and...

If I downgrade my service to a lesser download limit, do I also have to downgrade the speeds?

Cheers
N/A

Ok, From my understanding PN are moving away from the cost being related to the speed, but these changes won't be implemented till April.

From April, you proposed limit will be 75GB a month, based on £39.99. This only includes downloading within peak hours. Downloading during off-peak hours (1am - 8am) is not counted towards this value and nor is uploading.

The fair usage policy works, that for the first two months that you exceed your proposed limit, you will be warned by way of e-mail etc. If during the third month you exceed this limit, your speed will be reduced to 128.
However you do have the option of purchasing additional GB or increasing your monthly limit by increasing you cost.

If you exceed your limit, your account is flagged, i.e. 1 for 1 month and 2 for 2 months. It takes one month for a flag to be dropped. So for example if you exceeded the limit 2 months in a row, you'd have to have two clear months before the count would return to 0.

To be honest from what your saying, I'm not sure the limit will really affect you.

If I downgrade my service to a lesser download limit, do I also have to downgrade the speeds?

From April, nope, but also from my understanding you will incur a £14.99 charge for lowering the limit. but not raising it.
N/A

Thanks

So from what your saying, I could also have the 4mb/8mb/whatever service and the price will be based on the data not the speed? So I could have a higher speed but less of a charge?

Is this documented anywhere?

I would like the 4/8mb service, and a reduced price please.....

Cheers

JM
N/A

PN from my understanding are planing to bulk upgrade people's connection to the highest possible speed that their line can handle. I think this is also happening around April.

This is all documented in the posts in customer feedback, but as I'm sure you've noticed. It's quite a hot topic and it can be difficult at times to make head or tail of what's going on.
Alecto
Grafter

JM if you want to restrict your downloads to 30 Gb, you can have the fastest speed available for £21.99 a month - but they will charge you a one-off £14.99 to change to a reduced payment.

Or if less than that, you could go onto a lite plan - still for a one-off £14.99.

Looks like they're sticking to the £14.99 though.
N/A

doh!

So, sorry for being thick here, how do I find out what the fastest speed available to me is?

I have post some techy data i.e. SNR and Loop Attentuation....

Will that help? Or is it done by exchange?

Cheers

JM
Alecto
Grafter

Plusnet will test your line and let you know nearer the time.
Anything else based on SNR and attenuation etc will just be guesswork - the limits don't seem to be available yet for the faster speeds.
Alecto
Grafter

But if you want to start guessing yourself, there are a couple of good web pages to look at in this thread
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25052
in a post by benji on the first page.
It lets you find your distance from the exchange and then estimate your best speed.

Might not be right, of course......