cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop Icons Re-named -WHY ??

N/A

I noticed that a number of my desktop Icons have been renamed
"Ains Inout 215240 ( ) " with a different number in the brackets against each one .
I have searched the Microsoft Knowledge Base without success nor has a message in the MS Newsgroups produced any suggestio w hy this has happened .
I have run Adaware and Spybot on a regular basis and I have Trend Micro Internet Security running constantly and it monitors all activity including mail in and out .
I am running Windows XP .
Anyone got any ideas ??
Stuart
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Which desktop icons?
N/A

some were shortcuts to programmes such as "Agent" " RM Convertor " " Clone CD" etc and others were jpeg's,or folders or word docs or excel docs that were sitting on the desktop.Ive eithr deleted most of them or created ne w shortcuts and replaced the renamed ones .
Hope that helps
Stuart
Community Veteran

Hmm.. yes and no. There does not seem to be a pattern or related to particular types of files.

Have you checked what background apps are running and do any of them appear suspicious. Even though you have scanned for spyware you may still be infected in some way. Try using TaskInfo 2003 which can give you a lot more info including paths, program descriptions etc than the inbuilt task manager.

I have scanned google but found nothing that would help identify the problem you have so I can't really help further.
N/A

Hi -I did as u suggested and downloaded that programme . When i ran it I saw a couple of .exe files that had the same icon as the one last year that caused all my desktop icons and start menu to disappear -several people in the MS XP newsgroups reported a similar thing . i found a solution to that -it was called sysu.exe. The icon is a small rectangle set at an angle and has a green stripe along the top . There is no such icon when you go to "file types ".
There were two of these but since then the ones that the programme shows have changed to others with different names . They are all in the C/Windows/System/system 32 folder and there are quite a few of them.Some of the names are sieftpm.exe,slabelst.exe,icn20p.exe,xe2bine.exe,yskeys.exe etc etc.
Community Veteran

I use the following website to identify background tasks and it gives advice on how to stop them loading at startup:

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php

Near the bottom of that page there is a section called Programs where links to a page containing loads of background apps. There is a searchable area Startup Applications List so see if your unknown apps are listed and what they recommend.