cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deferred Activation

N/A

Deferred Activation

Hi all could somebody explain to me what Deferred Activation means.I have been charged £47 to leave.I was on a monthly contract and i was with them just over a year.I also did not have a modem from them.So what is this charge for.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Deferred Activation

Its the charge that BT Wholesale levy for connection (activation) of ADSL on your line.

At sign-up you are offered the option to pay the £47 fee up front, or defer the payment.

If defer the fee and you leave within 12 mths, you pay the full fee.

After 12mths, you pay 80% of the fee.

After 24mths, you pay 60% of the fee.

After 36mths, you pay 40% of the fee.

After 48mths, you pay 20% of the fee.

After 60mths, there is no fee remaining.

Hope this helps explain it.

Want the detail? 'You stay we pay' explained.
For every year you stay with PlusNet we'll guarantee that the cancellation cost decreases. What does this mean? If you cancel within the first year, then you will pay £47 for the activation. For every year you stay we'll reduce this by £9.40. If you also choose to take a modem as part of the offer there will be an additional cancellation fee of £25 in the first year and this will reduce by £5 for each year that you stay.

And here is a link to the relevant bit on the portal.
N/A

Deferred Activation

Thank you for you reply
N/A

Deferred Activation

No worries Wink

I'm a bit confused as to why you have to pay the full £47 if you have been with PN for more than a year?

I can only think that perhaps if you are only just over a year from your sign up date, you could still be just under a year from your activation date, which IIRC is the one that is used for calculating billing and deferred fees etc.
N/A

Deferred Activation

I dont really understand this either, so here are my questions on the topic:

Do most other ISPs do this same sort of thing?

Is this strictly to do with using a MAC code from your previous ISP before joining Plusnet?

Is there anyway around these fees in the future?
hitachi
Grafter

Deferred Activation

Some charge it up front,some only charge it if you leave in the first year.I dont think anyone spreads it over as long as Plusnet.
It does not apply if migrating in,that is just a 14.99 charge if you leave in the first year.
The only way round it is stay for 5 years,or pay up front.
N/A

Deferred Activation

It does not apply if migrating in,that is just a 14.99 charge

So because I migrated from Wanadoo if I leave at the end of my 12 month contract I dont pay anything to migrate away?