cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deferred Activation – An unfair and hidden five year lockin?

N/A

Hi,

Having been with Plusnet for 4 years, I moved my broadband from one line to another one just over a year ago and now am considering cancelling.

While I understood that if I cancelled within 12 months I would have to re-pay the £47 activation charge, at no time was I made aware that the deferred activation fee would be payable over 60 months!:

Plusnet now say, that if I cancel:

Within 12 months, you pay 100% of the fee.
After 12mths, you pay 80% of the fee.
After 24mths, you pay 60% of the fee.
After 36mths, you pay 40% of the fee.
After 48mths, you pay 20% of the fee.
After 60mths, there is no fee remaining

This seems to be very sharp practices by Plusnet, and unfair as I was not aware of a five year deferred fee!

I would welcome feedback on:
- Other customers views / experience on this
- Legality of a contract when they are not providing the service they were 12 months

David
17 REPLIES
N/A

Linky here

Want the detail? 'You stay we pay' explained.

For every year you stay with PlusNet we'll guarantee that the cancellation cost decreases. What does this mean? If you cancel within the first year, then you will pay £47 for the activation. For every year you stay we'll reduce this by £9.40. If you also choose to take a modem as part of the offer there will be an additional cancellation fee of £25 in the first year and this will reduce by £5 for each year that you stay.

You can choose an annual or monthly contract when you choose broadband.
N/A

Terms & Conditions

Please post the full terms and conditions that appplied for activations during September 2005 which includes the above statement within the full context.

A paragrah taken out of context of the full terms is just not good enough.
N/A

Those terms and conditions where updated Wednesday 24th August 2005 from what I find.

Although someone correct me if Im wrong.

This link directs you to the Terms and Conditions ARCHIVE placed on Thursday 28th April 2005 to Wednesday 24th August 2005 in the secion Free Set-up Promotion at the bottem.

And that particular condition still applys today and when you signedup.

Please post the full terms and conditions that appplied for activations during September 2005

I'm not going to post the entire thing as Mods will do there 'thang' Just have a read through that link.

I hope this clears it up for you.

Regards,
Tom

PS If you still feel you have been cheated I would suggest you contact Plusnet in the first by either rasing a ticket or phoning.
N/A

“if you complete a 12-month minimum period”

Hello,

Hang on a minute, Terms and Conditions of ‘Free Moving Offer’
www.plus.net/info2/move_broadband/terms.html it says:

1) This offer applies only if you decide to move your service.

2) You will not have to pay a moving fee for transferring your service to PlusNet if you complete a 12-month minimum period. This will be measured from the date your move is successfully completed.

3) This offer applies only if you move an existing Broadband Service to PlusNet and subscribe to Broadband Premier "Up to 2Mb".

Why does “if you complete a 12-month minimum period” not apply?

David
N/A

It looks to me that thats for migrating in from another supplier, rather than moving house.

Looking through the various links etc, it looks to me like @bumzig has it about right I'm afraid.
N/A

Deliberately misleading and confusing terms and conditions

Hello,

I was told that the switch / move was covered by a deferred activation charge, which if I upgraded my account (which I did, to 2MB Premium) and I stayed with Plusnet for 12 months, which I have, would not be charged.

The clause says "You will not have to pay a moving fee for transferring your service to PlusNet if you complete a 12-month minimum period. This will be measured from the date your move is successfully completed."

After 12 months, I should have no more to pay.

It’s looking more and more like Plusnet have deliberately misleading and confusing terms and conditions, which both their customer support staff and customers do not understand.

David
N/A

I was told

Who told you?

If it was Plusnet, then you need to speak with them.
N/A

Of course it was Plusnet, regrettably now, I rang customer service line to organise the change / upgrade, and yes I have told Plusnet all of the above, I’m sure it’s recorded somewhere on their system.

The purpose for posting the topic here was to see if any other customers had the same experience, or were aware that the "Deferred Activation – is a potential unfair and hidden five year lockin".

However, I appear to be wrong, everyone else is as happy as Larry and have read, agreed to and apparently memorised all 25 pages of the Terms and the numerous additions to the main Terms.

Out of interest, how many of the respondents are Plusnet staff working incognito?

David
N/A

I dont think anybody is incognito.

All we are trying to do is show everyone the possibility that users are not being ripped off, but rather not really looking into something enough to realise what they are signing upto.

And companys change their T&C's all the time to make changes for future investments that can be preferable to the company and its users. Which Plusnet are trying to do, which a large customer base welcomes.

I personaly like to try and print of terms and conditions to keep my own record, just incase things do go tits up.

However answers that Customer Services are giving ppl in tickets and phone support is still less than desirable, at times. Which Im sure everyone agrees on.
N/A

Hi,

What are "ppl in tickets"?

David
N/A

However answers that Customer Services are giving [people] ppl in tickets and phone support is still less than desirable, at times. Which Im sure everyone agrees on.

Just an abbreviation. Wink
N/A

Hello Again,

I'm abit confused, is "bumzig" and "sallyandjames" one and the same?

Are you employed, sponsored or affiliated to Plusnet?

David
N/A

I'm not bumzig, and I am also not employed or sponsored by PN, nor affiliated with PN.

I'm just another paying customer. Wink
N/A

Its about time everybody stopped slagging off Plusnet, and stopped saying that "this is hidden" or "this wasn't mentioned" . If people actually read the T&C's and actually did the reasearch about the product they are buying.

Perhaps the cancellation policy wasn't as clear as it is now.
Then click on the [terms apply]

Either way is was there back then, and it is even more clear now.

As I said above, raise a ticket with Plusnet and perhaps they will take pity. Although I don't see why they should treat you differantly.

And please stop saying we all work for Plusnet, because you don't like our answers.[/url]