cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Day 23 - Still No Change!

Griffo
Grafter

Today is Day 23 for me on max and I am STILL stuck on 500 stable rate! What are BT playing at with their MaxDSL service? I reboot the router god knows how many times per day, in the hope the BRAS will adjust, but as you can see from my figures below, from Day 14 nothing has budged!

Day 1: 500
Day 2: 500
Day 3: 500
Day 4: 500
Day 5: 500
Day 6: 500
Day 7: 500
Day 8: 500
Day 9: 500
Day 10: 1000
Day 11: 500
Day 12: 500
Day 13: 1000
Day 14: 1000
Day 15: 500
Day 16: 500
Day 17: 500
Day 18: 500
Day 19: 500
Day 20: 500
Day 21: 500
Day 22: 500
Day 23: 500

I am currently synced at 2272, 60dB Atten, 6dB Noise. Is there anything PlusNet or I can do, to try and make the BRAS update better, other than rebooting the router?

Cheers Smiley
20 REPLIES
N/A

Looks like you and I are in the same boat. I also suffer from a stable rate of 500kbps, but my router sync's at 1600kbps+ with SNR's above 10db. It did sync above 2000kbps before but the SNR dropped down to uncomfortable levels then (5-6db).

My router has been rebooted more often in the past 7 days than in the first year of service, to no avail.

I have a ticket open with PlusNet, the best answer so far is that there are known problems within BT about MaxDSL (don't know what the problems actually are), but everything is supposed to come good in June! I'm not happy with the situation and will keep pushing until satisfactory resolution.
lingbob
Grafter

The fact that you're both forever re-booting your routers is a possible cause of your stable rate not being uplifted. Constant re-sync'ing is interpreted by BTw's equipment as an un-stable line and therefore it won't update your stable rate. May I suggest that you both leave your routers alone for at least 3 days and see if your stable rate increases.

--
Martin
N/A

@ thegriffman:

Does it always sync at 2272? what is the upload speed syncd at?

And I agree with bitzbox - leave your routers well alone.
N/A

Thank you guys for your comments, more useful than anything I have seen on the subject to date. I will elave the router untouched for as long as possible, unless the connection drops by itself.

For anyone's interest, here's a couple of extracts from the ever-increasing list of messages exchanged with PlusNet technical support.

Initially:

"From time to time your equipment may report a significantly higher sync rate than the speed displayed on the above webpage. This is not necessarily an issue as it can take BT a number of days to upgrade your download speed after a period of deterioration. In these instances we suggest you reboot your equipment once a day for a period of 5 days and report back if you are still having problems."

Which is why I have been fiddling with my router.

Today:

"BT have sent us a Delta Report stating the Maximum speed your line can support is 500. If you constantly get a sync speed of 1500 for at least three days, this will be lifted."

Which seems to confirm what you are saying: unless the router remains connected at a stable rate for a while, the download speed may be curtailed.

I'll sit tight for a few days to see what happens.

Rgds
Griffo
Grafter

@ thegriffman:

Does it always sync at 2272? what is the upload speed syncd at?

And I agree with bitzbox - leave your routers well alone.

Not always no, it varies. Sometimes I have speeds like 1600, but with an SNR of 12dB. So I reboot and then it will shoot up past the 2meg limit.

I am now on Day 26 today and have been set a stable rate of 1000 since Day 23. Maybe starting to readjust?
Community Veteran

When you say you have rebooted your router have you left it of for a prolonger period or just off line while it re-boots.

I just used to hard reboot using my routers browser control panel but then 2 days ago I left mine off from 7:45am to 6 pm and when I turned it back on my line speed had increased dramatically.

I did the same today and the speeds are slightly higher still. Maybe you could trying leaving it off for longer.

A
N/A

For anyone's interest, here's a couple of extracts from the ever-increasing list of messages exchanged with PlusNet technical support.

One of the problems at the moment seems to be all the conflicting advice going about, every thread you read gives different opinions. :?

Some are saying leave your router connected all the time for 10 days or 14 days while others say reboot once a day or leave it off overnight.

It would be helpful if Plusnet would give out some sort of official statement as to the correct sequence, or maybe its hit and miss and BT have not given a correct procedure to follow, which would not surprise me knowing how BT operate. Sad
Community Veteran

Firm advice from pn would be good. However if everyhting is as hit and miss as it seams at present pn will understandably not be wanting to give this advice to save getting maoaned at if it dosn't work for everyones connection.

i guess it's a case of try it and see. I forgot to mention that I also started the fault report process and then stopped it before I had to make a definite commitment. it could be, listening to some of the conspiracies, that this part fault report could have set things in motion too.

Who knows, who indeed will ever know. Try them all and maybe you might get lucky.

A
Griffo
Grafter

When you say you have rebooted your router have you left it of for a prolonger period or just off line while it re-boots.

I just used to hard reboot using my routers browser control panel but then 2 days ago I left mine off from 7:45am to 6 pm and when I turned it back on my line speed had increased dramatically.

I did the same today and the speeds are slightly higher still. Maybe you could trying leaving it off for longer.

A

I will give that a try mate today, cheers! Smiley
Griffo
Grafter

Just logged on now and reconnected the router up, stats below:

Sync 2304kbps
Atten: 60dB
Noise: 6dB

Stable Rate: 1000
N/A

Guys,

I did get from support a pretty useful piece of information. Maybe it won't be news for you, but I wasn't aware of the process. Here's how BT set your speed dynamically (every day):

Their system takes a reading of the lowest speed your router / modem synchronised at over the past 3 days.

10% of that is discounted to account for ATM overhead.

BT round the new number down to the nearest multiple of 512kbps...

So... My router usually sync's at around 1700kbps which should give me a stable rate of 1000kbps (1706 would give 1500kbps but I don't seem to get quite up there).

But... On a regular basis the speeds goes down while the SNR goes up - today the router was sync'ing at 768kbps with a SNR of 14db, so 500kbps is what I end up with 9 days out of 10!!

Not to mention regular disconnects that everyone seems to enjoy... BT are definitely protecting their network...
Griffo
Grafter

Okay Day 29 and we are back onto 500k stable rate AGAIN! What is going on? :?
N/A

Griff, you and I are in the same boat - similar line stats, stable rate stuck at 500 and rarely jumping above. I have had a couple of open questions with PN, but BT hold the key to this. Not sure how we trigger adequate action at their end.

The behaviour of my router since 11th May (regrade date) has been interesting to say the least:

In the first 10 days - sync speed up to 2000kbps, SNR 6db, download speed in accordance with these stats

After the end of the trial period - sync speed around 1600kbps, SNR 10db, downloads capped at the 512kbps level

A week ago - sync speed around 1100kbps, SNR 16 to 17db, no change in download speed

Since the week-end - sync speed below 500kbps, SNR up to 21db, MSR 500

I am completely baffled by this, and soon will be registering the highest SNR in the UK, while my ADSL speed will have trickled down to less than 100kbps.

And contention isn't an issue, status on capacity is green at my local exchange.

Note that I have tried everything with the router: disconnecting often or for prolonged periods of time, not disconnecting at all over 3 to 4 days, etc... To no avail.

There's something that BT aren't telling us.
Griffo
Grafter

Thanks for your input mate! Glad it's not me just in this BT farce boat!

Perhaps someone from PN can enlighten us a bit more on this issue? Is there anyway to have the line set at say 2meg?

A