cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DYnamic IPs?

N/A

DYnamic IPs?

i asked this question before im just looking for an update (if there is one) are plusnet still planning on making dynamic IPs available if so is there an ETA on this please.

thanks
28 REPLIES
N/A

DYnamic IPs?

I beleive this was said last time.

No ETA would be available for a considerable amount of time, due to the other changes required in the overall network and by BT.
Community Veteran

DYnamic IPs?

It was also stated that there is no significant improvement in security with a dynamic IP due to the fact that with ADSL you spend that much more time connected. So your IP would not be changing very often.
N/A

DYnamic IPs?

Very true.

After checking, on our BTO line which uses dynamic IP's. We have been using the same IP for 1 1/2 months now.
N/A

DYnamic IPs?

Until static IP's become available, is there any software out there which can disguise the static IP or make it apear to be dynamic?
N/A

DYnamic IPs?

Opps! I ment until Dynamic IP's become available..... see previous question message.

Many thanks
N/A

DYnamic IPs?

Me and my bro would like Dynamic IP's when they come ready, since there is no good proxy servers am stuck on static, i knew this when i signed up, but its what i would like and many others, its a BT IP stream office package that makes this a static IP, i can see that if plusnet and other ISP wanted to roll out there 2MB offer this was the only way, roll on dynamic.

When you do NOT need static IP addresses

If you ONLY do things from the following list you do not need static IP addresses.

If you browse the Internet.
If you send and receive e-mail via an offsite server (the normal method).
If you download or upload files.
If you use Instant message services or chat services.
If you play online games.

When you need Static IP Addresses

You need one or more Static IP addresses if any of the following are true:

You run one or more Web server's directly on your site that require external access (from the Internet, or Extranet but not typically an Intranet) .
You run one or more E-mail server's directly on your site that require external access (from the Internet, or Extranet but not typically an Intranet) .
You run one or more FTP server's directly on your site that require external access (from the Internet, or Extranet but not typically an Intranet) .
You run any other service or 'Application' that requires external access (from the Internet or an Extranet). Some Financial Terminal Client applications require that you have a static IP address for licensing purposes.
You allow 'incoming' Video Conferencing you may need to use static IP addresses.

^^ "BT Business 2000PLUS businesses needs"
Community Veteran

DYnamic IPs?

You are correct with your list but still there are no major draw backs to having a static IP even if you dont need one.

I think if it costs alot of time / money for PlusNet to implement then it will probably never get done.

Chris
N/A

DYnamic IPs?

Dynamic IPs offer 0% benefit.

Infact, there is a question hanging over dynamic IPs with ADSL.

When is a dynamic IP, not dynamic?
On ADSL!

Because of the "allways-on" nature of ADSL, it would be very rare that the lease for the IP you are assigned will timeout.

As a result, you can turn off at night, and because of the lease, still onbain the same IP in the morning.

To use very low lease expirations is possible, but also a strain on a DHCP server.
N/A

DYnamic IPs?

Well instead of a very short lease time, have a longer lease DHCP time?

say every 2 days or so.
N/A

DYnamic IPs?

I am a new DSL user as of today.

The reason I am concerned about having a static IP is that when I went to www.grc.com (shields up) to test my new DSL firewall all came out stelthy except that Plusnet was broadcasting my machine name.

Surly that will invite spam etc. also it is not very private?

Or am I being paranoid?
N/A

DYnamic IPs?

DHCP leases do not allways work like that.

Many DHCP server will re-assign you the same lease. Only if your machine is off for longer than the lease expiration will it expire properly. Even then, there is still a chance.

However, the cost of implimentation is a good point too.

As for +Net broadcasting your machine name. Not true, only your machine can do the broadcasting, which is upto you to block.

If you talk of the fact your IP address reverse resolves to username.plus.com, this is another matter.

To correct this, simply contact +Net and ask that RDNS be removed from your static IP. They will pretty much comply right off.
N/A

DYnamic IPs?

DHCP leases do not allways work like that.
To correct this, simply contact +Net and ask that RDNS be removed from your static IP. They will pretty much comply right off.

It's a shame that this is not managably from the Portal - perhaps in the Domain Name section of the portal or in the 'Static IP' tool (for those that have it - not all accounts do) under Connections Settings.

Neil
N/A

DYnamic IPs?

This is allready in planning, luckily.

This was submitted internaly around Q1/Q2 of this year when I asked about it over at ADSLGuide.
N/A

DYnamic IPs?

Phillip thanks for the reply.

It is the username.plus.com that was being broadcast is what I am concerned about.

I have already sent your support an email to request the username.plus.com be replaced by the IP address instead. I guess this will happen today.

Is there anything else I can do, or buy, to hide/disguise/prevent my fixed IP from being seen on the www?

Having been brung up on Dynamic IP's, and being quite security conscious, I feel exposed.

Many thanks