cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLConnect - Realist Activation

N/A

Hi all,

Seen all this talk about Activation being done in a few days. I've just ordered DSLConnect - PN say up to 21 days - does anyone know what a realistic activation time would be.

Thanks all.

Glen
9 REPLIES
N/A

Nope.

Because of the way this product has to interact with third-party providers, and not just BT, there is a longer lead time which is subject to change.

This is operated on a DataStream product. As DataStream is a set price, redardless of the speed your line is setup on (512Kb, 1Mb, 2Mb) providers will normaly try and place you on 2Mb first.

This allows for future upgrades with a click of a button.

As such, you line could possibly fail twice during an order.

In total, it is reliant on all parties communicating correct, at the right time and things progressing smoothly.

Note: Although DataStream is a set price for all speeds. The real cost is transmitting your data to and from the exchange. The more bandwidth needed for your connection, the more expensive.
N/A

I was going to go for a 2MB DS product - i gave up afte 3 weeks but that was telefonica's fault.

Still i got a freebie modem out of it LOL
N/A

Re: DSLConnect - Realist Activation

Hi all,

Seen all this talk about Activation being done in a few days. I've just ordered DSLConnect - PN say up to 21 days - does anyone know what a realistic activation time would be.

Thanks all.

Glen

Hi Glen

I signed up for dsl connect 150 on February 5 and was told it could take up to 3 weeks. However, my line was activated on 17 February, but I am still waiting for my modem to arrive so I can use the service. Hope your activation comes as quickly as mine has. The activation which happens in a few days is the adsl faster speeds real broadband which costs more money monthly. Which is why I chose to have dsl and free up my phone line too.
Looking forward to having always on connection instead of 2 hrs on and reconnect if I can.

Sals Cheesy
N/A

Hi Sals..

Well I have the 1MEG Services - But ordered the DSLConnect 250 for my sister. It'll free up her phone line and be a bit faster.

It's a shame cos for an extra quid she could have gone full blown ADSL/IPSTREAM --- but the activation fee/modem seemed expensive compared to the DSLConnect where you get a free modem and activattion for £30.

Shame that.. but well it's better than dial up.

Glen
N/A

Hi Glen

Well the good news is my modem arrived lunchtime Wednesday. The bad news is I am still on dial up with my dial up isp. Reason being, I installed the binatone modem the new version with 3 green lights and it does not recognize my usb modem on my windows 98. People responded to my messages earlier saying that it needs windows 98se and I do not have it. Either I can try and get 98 se or I can try and get a router but either way it's more expense.
Hope it all goes well for your sister.
Sals
N/A

Ahhh of course. Windows 98 doesn't support USB, whereas 98SE does. I feel for you! ;-(

What about an Internet PCI ADSL Modem?

Glen
N/A

Hi Glen

That would mean putting something inside the pc. Don't fancy it. Thank you for your suggestion. Although the router would mean I need a pc card too. I have internal modem 56k which I am using now. It was in the computer already. I have heard that the usb modem uses a lot of system resources. I do have problems with my computer which freezes and then I have to reboot it. i like to go to the msn zone too and play spades there so not sure what the best thing is to do at the moment. Just had to fork out £41.69 plus the cost of monthly payments for something which I am unable to use yet.

Sals :?
Community Veteran

Ahhh of course. Windows 98 doesn't support USB, whereas 98SE does. I feel for you! ;-(

Actually 98 does support USB, but 98SE is much better and any recent products will likely only support 98SE now - al la the new binatone drivers
N/A

I stand corrected :?