cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL Router Sync problems

N/A

DSL Router Sync problems

BACKGROUND:
My broadband stopped working after 7 days usage with the sync light flashing instead of being solid. No synch. The telephone is fine.

SET-UP:
LAN with 2 x PC and 1 x Mac all connected to a switch. Switch is connected to broadband router via crossover cable. Router is plugged into splitter. Only other device connected to the socket is a telephone that goes into the phone part of the splitter. The faceplate on the BT socket holds 2 phone lines with 2 different numbers. Original router - Solwise. Replacement router - Creative Blaster.

THINGS TRIED TO DATE:
1. Reported problem to PlusNet and they did the standard config checks and escalated the problem. Said they couldn't see the router.
2. BT did checks and said they couldn't see the router.
3. BT Engineer attended site with his modem and laptop. His USB based Modem DID sync - it was self-powered (no external power supply required). He used the splitter and cable supplied by PlusNet that hadn’t worked for me. Downloaded file to prove it was OK. He concluded that router was faulty.
4. Flashed Solwise broadband router, as advised by PlusNet, but no sync. Advised to return the router for replacement (Not returned as yet).
5. Bought new router. Plugged in brand new replacement router - Creative Broadband Blaster - but no sync!!! Light flashed as before.
6. Plugged PC via USB into new router (cutting out network) - still no sync.
7. Removed all telephone equipment and replaced splitter and cables - no sync.
8. Removed all network/USB cables so that router was "standalone" - no sync.
9. Checked config for the nth time- PPPoA VC-Mux/ VCI =38 / VPI=0 - all settings OK (to my knowledge) but still no sync!!! At this point I figured it must be a weird problem but...
10. Took new router and plugged it into a working broadband connection but it got no synch. Now I am confused!

Could it be a second broken router? Could the setting on the router be wrong? Anyone got any suggestions that I could try? I would be grateful for any ideas! Maybe I am just too close to the problem and am not seeing the wood for the trees...
5 REPLIES
N/A

DSL Router Sync problems

It sounds highly like it is a second busted router.

Have you tried the first router on the working connection?
N/A

DSL Router Sync problems

Thanks for the reply!

The first router - Solwise supplied by PlusNet - was the one that worked originally then died. After flashing it still didn't work and I was advised to return it for replacement to PlusNet.

So yes, it was tried but it failed (due to it being faulty).

I also came across another fault relating to the Creative Blaster Router on the forum here:

https://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12531&highlight=sync

The fault I have seems very similar but there does not seem to be a fix posted.

Perhaps I should return the Creative Router and get a replacement. Any suggestions for a good alternative router I could get from my local PC World?
Community Veteran

DSL Router Sync problems

Do you know onyone with a router or ADSL modem that you could try with your PC just to prove conclusively that your router is faulty.
Similarly can you try your router on a friends line?
N/A

DSL Router Sync problems

Tried the router on a friends line and the sync light flashed showing no sync. However, he has no problems surfing using his USB modem on the same line.

It looks to me like the first router went "bang". And the second has perhaps done the same.
Community Veteran

DSL Router Sync problems

Yes it would seem that way if it wont work on another known good line.
With luck like that you should try the lottery this week. Wink