cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSL 504

Community Veteran

DSL 504

While we are all waiting for the DNS to be fixed perhaps someone out there can answer a query for me.
I have just changed my ADSL gear to a d-Link DSL504 which is working great as a hub and router allowing me to connect via my own small network.
But on the back of the box is a 9 pin D socket labled Console.
Also with the pack came a cable to fit this socket.
I have scoured the write up on the supplied CD but there is no mention of this socket?

What is it for?
Does anybody know? :confused:
--
Regards
John
http://www.hmrg.co.uk
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: DSL 504

who knows, but as long as it isnt something to do with dns maybe someone will know :-D

i am soooo bored lol
Glosh
Grafter

It's so that you can configure the router by connecting a terminal via the serial port rather than using the cute and fluffy web-interface that most of them have these days.
IIRC, using the console requires *nix or similar commands rather than a GUI

It makes the router more secure, 'cos you chould be able to disable the web-interface, (theoretically preventing hacking) and require the administrator to be physically next to the router to re-configure it.

Or something like that anyway Smiley

Mark
Community Veteran

> It's so that you can configure the router by connecting a terminal via the serial port rather than using the cute and fluffy web-interface that most of them have these days.
> IIRC, using the console requires *nix or similar commands rather than a GUI
>
> It makes the router more secure, 'cos you chould be able to disable the web-interface, (theoretically preventing hacking) and require the administrator to be physically next to the router to re-configure it.
>
> Or something like that anyway Smiley
>
> Mark
>

Thanks Mark
At least now I have a clue as to what it is for.
Seems strange though that there is no mention of this connection in the write up on the CD.

:cheese:

John