Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DS Margin?

dragona
Grafter

DS Margin?

Hi, i have a DSL-504T (D-Link)

I just wanted to know if DS MArgin meant SNR ...
This is the status that my router gives : -

DSL Status
Connection Status Connected
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 288
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 2272
US Margin 31
DS Margin 9
Modulation GDMT
LOS Errors 0
DS Line Attenuation 41
US Line Attenuation 52
Path Mode Fast Path

Any thoughts if my SNR is shown in there or what the US/DS Margin is?

if so why have i got such i high US Margin but a low DS Margin ...

Thanks in advance - Dragona
13 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

DS Margin?

It does appear to, since DS means Downstream and US means Upstream.

A downstream SNR margin of 9dB could be a cause for concern. Anything below 10 and I would expect disconnects.
dragona
Grafter

DS Margin?

its usually about 15 recently ive had a few disconnects maybe this is why ^.^
LiamM
Grafter

DS Margin?

I would imagine so. Do you have any new electrical equipment that could be causing problems? Some electrical equipment can create noise on the line.

I would advise unplugging all your telephone equipment, plugging the router into the Master Socket (without a microfilter) and seeing what stats you get then.
dragona
Grafter

DS Margin?

well my old modem cable for the standard BT socket made the Margin go down ... so i tried it with a filter it was the same so i tried cleaning the connections and it went up yto 10 had the same result when i brought it up here again ... but now its dropped to 8 when i checked a moment ago ... why would my upstream margin be so high and yet down stream so low most peoples are about the same aren't they?

Edit: actually its back up to 9 now O_o seems to fluctuate alot
dragona
Grafter

DS Margin?

i also have another question: its been almost 2 days since my FREE regrade to 2 meg ... and my 1 MB throttle hasnt been released do i have to wait for it or can i just raise a ticket/phone? (thought i read some where that Free regrades had to wait in line)
Community Veteran

DS Margin?

Hey are you the first of the FREE upgrades then Cheesy
Is something actually happening :lol:
How did you know it was done?
You may need to raise a link:Contact us ticket or phone to get the brakes taken off Wink
dragona
Grafter

DS Margin?

lol well my router is constantly reporting
Upstream Rate (Kbps) 288
Downstream Rate (Kbps) 2272
no matter how many times i reconnect (i am a 1 meg customer) did bring this up like yesterday ^.^

(my router had disconnected some time before the morning but i wasnt too sure when)
N/A

DS Margin?

have a try at some of my tips i put here

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27008

i know youve cleaned connections but theres a couple of other things you can try like different cables and less cables, also i found cleaning the phone connectors as well helped even tho they dont connect to the router :/
dragona
Grafter

DS Margin?

heh i cleaned everything i could ... tried WD40 ... lol i aint got other connectors but these are fairly i tried it plugged directly into the master socket with 1 microfilter and it was still low :\

i had allready taken a look at your threadactually Smiley
N/A

DS Margin?

try plugging it straight into the wall if you can, could be a bad microfilter, something to try anyway Smiley
dragona
Grafter

DS Margin?

heh, as i said before i tried an OLD modem cable from my 56K modem ... no luck it actually reduced the SNR ... (it went down to 8 or 6 can't remember now)

Edit: Just rqaised a ticket about 2 MB (ddint follow thw wizards) didnt really see a catagory it would fall into ...
keithcalder
Grafter

DS Margin?

I have a netgear d834G which often dropped out, and upon checking the stats within the router I found that my downstream snr was going fom 26-28db down to 8 or 9. This was solely due to the firware, which thankfully is stable now.

Just goes to show its not necessarily the phone line at fault all the time. Smiley
dragona
Grafter

DS Margin?

i check my firmware once a month .. none out atm Smiley