cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DRTCP

N/A

DRTCP

Having been on only a week and having suffered terrible download speeds, and reading about all the problems on this forum, I tried this DRTCP thing and I have seen an improvement in the download speeds. Now remember you wont actually get the 512K as is written in the publications..but one evening this week some of us were getting 7kpbs, although the lowest I recieved was I think 29kpbs. After a quick phone call to PlusNet, I ran some tests under guidance(I`m still new to all this ie settings and tweaking?)and was informed that there was no major packet/data loss and the "ping"rates were good, so as I was not the only customer who was having problems, it was referred to technical to solve?
The next Day on returning home from work ,an e-mail arrived about changing my MTU?.......I`m no expert and a registry is not the place for for to enter ! so I tried this at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/578

I entered the figures MTU 1458 and RWIN 14180 and have seen an improvement in my speeds..REMEMBER you MUST reboot in order for these settings to take place?
Hope this helps
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: DRTCP

> Having been on only a week and having suffered terrible download speeds, and reading about all the problems on this forum, I tried this DRTCP thing and I have seen an improvement in the download speeds. Now remember you wont actually get the 512K as is written in the publications..but one evening this week some of us were getting 7kpbs, although the lowest I recieved was I think 29kpbs. After a quick phone call to PlusNet, I ran some tests under guidance(I`m still new to all this ie settings and tweaking?)and was informed that there was no major packet/data loss and the "ping"rates were good, so as I was not the only customer who was having problems, it was referred to technical to solve?
> The next Day on returning home from work ,an e-mail arrived about changing my MTU?.......I`m no expert and a registry is not the place for for to enter ! so I tried this at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/578
>
> I entered the figures MTU 1458 and RWIN 14180 and have seen an improvement in my speeds..REMEMBER you MUST reboot in order for these settings to take place?
> Hope this helps

PS.These figures are quoted by BT.I havent tinkered with other settings. and Im running Windows ME and use a PCI ADSL-PRO
N/A

i agree with your comments. I too am new to plusnet, and initially had appaling speeds (about 80kbps downloading). After reading various posts and checking some of the abovementioned websites I also used DR TCP after finding that my RWIN (whatever that really is!) was apparently far too low. My sppeds are now much better.

I think this sort of advice should be sent out as standard with all new setups instead of a great many of us having to root about for it by ourselves on forums and websites etc.

Anyway, hope many other people benefit from this too.

Alan
N/A

Anyway, hope many other people benefit from this too.

Hi,

We have made service statuis announcements regarding MTU values over the last few days. We will however be bringing this up in further debates and reposting our statement that we made a few days ago.

Best Regards,

Dave.

--
| David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +