Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS question...

N/A

DNS question...

Hello all,

I have a NAT'd LAN on 192.168.7.0/24.
When I connect to other machines on this LAN a packet capture indicates that the client is sending a DNS lookup request trying to resolve, say 192.168.7.4.
Obviously Plus's DNS comes back with no such record.

This traffic is clogging up Plus's DNS servers so what do I need to do to stop this happening?

Thanks for your time

poncenby
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

DNS question...

Just forget it. The volume of lookups you are doing compared to how many DNS lookups each DNS server is servicing will be minute and have no impact whatsoever on the performance of the PlusNet DNS servers.

If you really want to stop it happening, just add an entry into the Windows hosts file for each of your local IP addresses, but it really is nothing to worry about.
N/A

uhm, thanks.

I don't think I will "just forget it".

I realise that the amount of DNS lookups my machines are doing for RFC1918 addresses is miniscule, and that Plus get millions of lookups every day, it was more of an educational question as it would be handy to stop these lookups happening because they are annoying when doing packet capture.

I'm guessing the Linux equivalent of LMHOSTS is resolv.conf?

Perhaps a more helpful response might be in order.

poncenby
Community Veteran

DNS question...

Perhaps a more helpful response might be in order.

I could state the same for your question: No mention of Linux (so windows was assumed) and no indication this was an 'educational exercise' so assumed this was a problem, and I had no knowledge of your knowledge about the subject so assumed nothing and tried to explain in simple terms there is nothing to worry about.

I'm sorry if all my assumptions were wrong but I can only answer based on the information supplied as my crystal ball is down for maintenance Wink

OK, now I know we're talking about Linux you need to look at /etc/hosts and add the necessary IP addresses in there for each of the PCs you connect to. If you have other Linux boxes you need to do the same for them. This will then stop any DNS lookups going out to the gateway and to PlusNet.

resolv.conf allows you to define DNS servers to use to do DNS lookups and can be updated automatically from other places. It does not contain IP addresses of other systems.

I hope that helps now.