cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS need to change DNS numbers every week or so - why?

N/A

I help a Charity and have set up a D-Link modem and Belkin router.

Every week or two the Charoty contacts me to say they cannot get onto the Internet.

The history of this connection - when first set up PlusNet had to give me an alternative DNS because the original didn't work. Subsequently the loss of connection occurred but I now have to try the following before I re-establish the connection. I work through the options for the Routers DNS settings - there is of course "Auto" seek which I unstruct the Router to do over its ftp site. I then try 212.159.6.9 (& .10) then 212.159.13.49 (&.50) when one of these connects I live in hope that it will stay connected. Unfortunately I am regularly approached to go in and solve the problem which I do by resetting to one of the alternative DNS numbers.

I have a similar combination of router and modem at home with no need to make changes. PlusNet support say they don't know why this is happening. When I first told them of the problem they gave me the different number (one of those shown above) and on another occasion they said they had been making changes with their server. Now they offer no advice.

Anyone got any suggestions? Could this reflect a Hardware problem within the router?

Kevin McGee
4 REPLIES
N/A

Sounds like an issue with the router or modem. Can you check that you are using the latest firmware for that model. I take it you have checked for dns conflicts / issues within the local network and the two devices?
N/A

From what I can tell there are no communication problems within the LAN. It is purely between the Router/Modem and the ISP.

My technical knowledge is limited so if there is some test recommended to identify specific areas that may be causing the problem I would be interested in receiving guidance.

KM
Community Veteran

The only test is to try an alternative modem and router as to me, it does sound like they are the cause of this. Can you borrow one from someone to try for a short time to see if the problems go away?

Ideally you should try an all-in-one device (modem & router combined) as there can be compatibility problems when using the D-Link Ethernet modem with other manufacturers equipment.
N/A

Thanks for replies.

I will bear in mind the suggestion of trying another modem/router.

Although I only have my own, home, set up to try as an alternative I will hold fire for now. To some extent I was wanting to get advice about other possible causes. As the hardware seems to be the culprit I now know that I don't need to do any more checking.

KM